Can't Stabilize Pool

I'm still slamming, can this be right? I have been maintaining chlorine at 17-19. I work long days so I clean the filter in the morning, and adjust chlorine. The evenings, i clean clean the leaves out the pool, and adjust chlorine. Water still looks the same. I am running the filter 24 hours a day. Total I have been through either 4-5 gallons of bleach. Any ideas?

Can you add more details about your equipment to your signature.

If you have the anemic original pump with tiny cartridge filter, that could be part of your problem. Getting an aftermarket cartridge from Filbur or Unicel may help.

The SLAM just takes time. Some members have used 50+ bottle of bleach ... granted the pools were bigger than yours, but 4-5 gallons does not sounds like very much to me.

Since you can only work on the pool in the morning and evening after work, unfortunately this is probably stretching out the process. the M part of SLAM is to Maintain FC level. Get it to SLAM and KEEP IT THERE .... That is difficult to do if a person works all day.

You might target FC a few points above SLAM to give some drift room over the course of the day.

This waiting game is killing me! Hopefully soon I will get some results!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello 20pilot,

I hope this will give you some insight in getting your pool to clear up.

Algae is heavier than water so it sinks to the bottom if its not stirred up by brushing or other action. Here lies the problem, water exits the pool via the strainer connection at the water line and enters the pool just below the water line but can be directed down with a moveable jet. Unfortunately the OEM pumps are not strong enough to keep the water circulating quickly enough to keep the alage in suspension. To clear the algae up you need to suck water off the bottom of the pool.
There are threads on the outside of the strainer connection inside the pool. These threads are 4". Here is a solution that i use to do this and hook up other "features".

From a home improvement outlet (Lowes, Home Depot, Etc....) you will need:

1. A 4" S&D Threaded to 4" Slip connector
2. A 4" x 2" bushing
3. A 2" x 1 1/2 bushing
4. 1 1/2" (one and one half inch) 90 deg. elbow. You will need 2 of these.
5. 4 feet of 1 1/2" PVC Pipe, (Sch 40 (thick wall pipe))

USE NO PVC CEMENT. Dry fitting all connections will be sufficent to achieve desired effect.
To assemble cut 3" of the 1 1/2" pipe.
Assemble 1,2 and 3.
Insert 3" peice into #3.
Install this on to strainer connection (suction side) inside pool.
Insert one of #4 into 3" peice, aimed downward.
Insert remaining 1 1/2" pipe to remaining elbow.
Insert other end of pipe into other elbow, aiming toward center of pool.
NOTE: you may have to cut a little more off pipe to adjust for depth of pool.

Basically the assembled pieces will go from 4" threaded down to 1 1/2" pipe, into an elbow that points down to the bottom of the pool and an elbow at the end aimed at the center of the pool. The elbow at the end is optional, but i added it to protect the liner in case the cut PVC was sharp and to keep the end of the pipe from sucking itself to the floor of the pool.

As an option, you can purchase a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" reducer fitting to adapt to a flexable pool vacuum hose with a floor vacuum head to clean the pool floor.

As a last thought, the return jet on your pool once you unscrew the jet is also 4". You could build a sprinkler or water fall as a water feature to aerate the water if needed.

The above post is very interesting to me -- if I understand what you're describing, the goal is to get your suction point down onto the floor of the pool while cleaning up algae debris?

I'll have to keep this in mind the next time we run into a similar situation...

Aweome idea. I think I am going to give that a try this weekend. I think that is where the issue it. I am using the net to get the leaves then brushing the bottom daily. I am clogging up the unicel filter and rinsing it out daily as well. How many times can the filter be reused? I have probably had it on there 2/3 weeks and have been hosing it off daily.

Thanks again for all the help!

I was at Home Depot today and i was going to get item #'s for the parts and i forgot. Sorry all, too much rush and not enough thinking.

The above post is very interesting to me -- if I understand what you're describing, the goal is to get your suction point down onto the floor of the pool while cleaning up algae debris?

Exactly. Right on the money... In short, making a main drain on an AGP, redneck style (no offense intended).

I am clogging up the unicel filter and rinsing it out daily as well. How many times can the filter be reused? I have probably had it on there 2/3 weeks and have been hosing it off daily.

I bought a pack of 4 filters for the cheap OEM "A" style cartridge filter that came with the pump when i bought the pool last year. About June of this year i got fed up with no water flow and upgraded to the pump i have now. If pumps were cars, this one would be a "Caddy" compared to the VW. Anyway, i washed the same filters out the whole time i was using that pump. I have also heard but can not offer any help on it, but using some TSP in a soak solution is supposed to clean them to like new condition. I guess to answer your question, clean them until you cant clean them anymore.

I am beginning to think there is another culprit....the pump/filter. This thing is noisy and excuse my language but I can probably pee harder than then amount of water coming through pump. The pump has been running non stop for the past 5 days, rinsing filter morning and night. There is small amounts of dead algae being caught in the filter, but does not seem to be catching as much as i would think. Should I upgrade the pump to the Intex sand filter?!?!
After upgrading mine, it takes me literally 20 minutes a week to do the maintenance on it (testing, vacuuming, brushing). I put out a little over $200 to upgrade mine (pump, strainer basket, and sand filter) and it came with the adapters to convert from the Intex hoses to 1 1/2" pipe thread. Best money i spent.

Below are some other tips that i have learned/realized while using the "redneck main drain"

Do not screw the threaded 4" connector on tight to the inlet connector, leave it just snug. At some point you will have to take it back off and if it is too tight, it will unscrew the bulkhead fitting on the pool.

If you clean the filter out and still notice very low water flow, disassemble the "unit" from the intake inside the pool and check the inlet screen, leaves or debris may have gotten in there and have restricted the flow. Ahhhh another reason NOT to glue it together.... (I have a solution to that also without cutting the screen out of the fitting, but that is for another problem, back on subject)

Thanks for the response again. Nice to see another Louisianaian on here. I am in New Orleans, so a little ways away. I think I am going to order a new filter/pump assembly based on what you have said. I used this pool for literally 3 weeks and then the problems came. I finally seeing some progress, I can actually see the entire bottom of the pool. Its still cloudy blue but much clearer then it was 2 weeks ago. I have been through almost 10 gallons of bleach in the past 3 weeks or so that I have been slamming. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the response again. Nice to see another Louisianaian on here.

YW. Yes it nice to have other Louisianians here. We just have to watch out for those "Texans". They say everything is bigger in Texas and with that thought, they may want to take the Gulf of Mexico as their own pool just out of spite for it being the Louisiana Purchase ... HaHaHa....

Just hang in there and keep doing what you are doing and it will come around. Keep us informed on your progress, as we all want you to succeed in having a Trouble Free Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.