can't seem to balance alkalinity and ph

suprstrmis

Aug 22, 2022
sacramento, ca
new to pool maintenance so bear with me.

I started with alkalinity at 60 and added a 12 lb bag of baking soda over the course of a week or so and it is at 80 but my ph won't stop going up so do I need more alkalinity? I feel like for a 14.5k gallon pool that should've been enough to get my alk in better range?

my ph just wants to stay around 7.8-8. I add maybe about 1/6 gallon muriatic acid every few days and it just won't stay down for more than a day or 2 (at most)

14.5 k pool
white plaster
full sun
water temp about 70

The intended function of "TA" is to buffer pH fluctuations. More precisely to protect pH from crashing down. This is particularly important when chlorinating with trichlor (which is not recommended due to the CYA accumulation), as trichlor is quite acidic.

But by adding baking soda to increase TA you carbonate the pool, and like in an opened soda bottle, the dissolved CO2 wants to outgass to reach equilibrium with the atmospheric CO2. In the process pH rises. (Carbonated water tastes more acidic, when the CO2 bubbles out, the water tastes less acidic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.