Can't raise FC!

Jun 11, 2017
Hallie/Kentucky
I'm new here and needing some help/advice. I have an 18x33 oval pool that was installed with an in ground vinyl liner to make a deep end. I have approximately 24,000 gallons. When we opened the pool this year we discovered that my winter cover had a hole in it, so all of the nasty stuff on top mixed in with my pool water all winter. It was a swamp!

So I shocked, like I do every year and it turned from the nasty green to a bluish green (kind of pretty actually, but I'd prefer clear water ?) and I can see about 6 inches down. I've also used 2 large bottles of algaecide..I have a Taylor test kit that I recently ordered...my original readings after shocking were:

Cya: 30
Ph: 7.0
Ta: 90
Ch: 160
Fc: 0

I read the article about the "slam" method and tried it yesterday...I could not get the fc level up to the recommended shock level...the highest it got was 2.8...this morning it was back down to 1.2 and my cc level was 1...I have put a total of 23 large jugs of Clorox in the pool since yesterday...I'm at a loss!

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

You must have some pretty nasty stuff in your pool if you added that much chlorine and couldn't get the FC to hold. The good news is that the chlorine didn't just disappear, it reacted with whatever is in there and did its job. The bad news is that you are nowhere near done. What type of algaecide did you add? Some algaecides do not play well with chlorine and could be contributing to your inability to raise your FC level. For future reference, algaecide is a preventative measure and adding it during an algae bloom is not helpful.

Otherwise though, all that can be done is continue to measure FC and add chlorine until you can get to SLAM level and then keep it there. That's what a SLAM is all about.

(Question in bold is very important so wanted to draw your attention to it)

Thanks for your reply! I used Clorox pool and spa xtra blue. I have 20 more large jugs of Clorox today...also, I've been using the concentrated so it's 8.5%.

I knew it would take longer than a day, but couldn't understand why it was taking so much Clorox and still barely registering.

Do whatever you can to try and scoop around the bottom getting all the heavy organic matter out on the front end will save you some bleach. After you think you've scooped everything you can, vacuum the bottom even after if blindly it will help get the remaining heavy organics out.

update your signature line with the remaining equipment you have pump filter etc. it will help folks coach you along.

Quick update...I continued with the slam process this evening and added the appropriate amount of bleach.

After an hour I retested and my FC was 12!!!! I'm really excited to see that number as the past few days it's been 1-2 after 30 minutes. I feel like I'm finally making progress!

Also, I can't update the signature from my phone so it'll be tomorrow before I update it, but I have a Hayward 1.5hp sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the water crystal clear? If so, you are done, let the FC come back to normal and start your maintenance application of liquid chlorine. Also check your pH once FC is below 10.

Then you are not done. Keep SLAM-ing.

Clear water is the third criteria, you met two, just not the third.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.