Fairfax, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Am having trouble lowering TA and looking for some advice or diagnosis. PH creeps up to 7.7-7.9 during the week (presumably by aeration from SWG). I add MA every 7-10 days to bring it down to 7.2 based on PoolMath guidance. Retest and see PH drops to desired levels but TA consistently staying around 90. Any idea what’s causing this and how to lower TA? Am not adding any other chems and thought MA would do the trick.

It will over time and it isn't a super concern. Just keep adding MA when PH gets to 8 and lower it to like 7.4-7.6 each time & it will slowly come down over time.

Reactions: Sidemoves
It will over time and it isn't a super concern. Just keep adding MA when PH gets to 8 and lower it to like 7.4-7.6 each time & it will slowly come down over time.
Got it. Am trying to add borates so was waiting till TA got to around 70. Any issues if I add borates now with TA around 90?

When I see pools with a stubborn TA, I recommend allowing the pH to reach 8.0 then using enough acid to lower the pH to 7.-7.2, but no lower. That larger application of acid and pH drop usually takes a bite out of the TA each time.

Do PH readings get affected (show higher) when chlorine levels are really high?

I had a bday party this weekend and a 3yo puked partially in the pool so turned on Boost on SWG and threw in 2 backs of cal-hypo shock. Chlorine is around 10 at the moment.

PS- is that the right approach to handle a barf situation like that?

is that the right approach to handle a barf situation like that?
That's fine. Anyone would be inclined to increase the FC level after an incident like that. In a pool your size, most of it would probably dissolve to nothing anyways, but increasing the FC makes sense.

That's fine. Anyone would be inclined to increase the FC level after an incident like that. In a pool your size, most of it would probably dissolve to nothing anyways, but increasing the FC makes sense.
How long should I keep FC elevated? Also 0.5 CC showed up after the puke incident…that normal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TA is still being really stubborn. Still holding at 90 even after the MA add. Any advice?
More acid at dosing. You really need to lower the pH down to 7.0-7.2 on each application. If you only go halfway, it doesn't have the impact on the TA you would hope for.

How long should I keep FC elevated? Also 0.5 CC showed up after the puke incident…that normal?
Just one day of the elevated FC should be fine. The CCs can fluctuate on any given day and may/may not have anything to do with the accident. Not to worry unless the CC really gets elevated.

More acid at dosing. You really need to lower the pH down to 7.0-7.2 on each application. If you only go halfway, it doesn't have the impact on the TA you would hope for.
Think I should hold off on adding borates till I get the TA down below 80? Or okay to add now?

Think I should hold off on adding borates till I get the TA down below 80? Or okay to add now?
Make sure you are comfortable with your final TA adjustments before switching gears to Borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.