basileo

May 9, 2023
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone this is my first time posting on here. I have a 3ft tall, 15ft long, 7ft wide above ground pool. The pump that came with it lost almost all pressure about a month after setting it up.
So I bought another. Same thing. Then I bought another that was a bit expensive and had good reviews, pumped extremely well for about a week, then lost pretty much all pressure. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything, or if I'm just having bad luck. I've followed all instructions carefully, read online advice and followed it all, yet I still keep losing pressure in my pumps. I've done everything that is within my ability with these pumps and just can't get one to work.
A friend of mine recommended I get a sand pump, so I ordered one today. Don't wanna waste another $200 so I'm looking for any advice on what I should do to prevent this pump from also losing pressure. Sorry for the long post.
Thank you for anything you can tell me.

Welcome to TFP.

Post pictures of your pool and equipment.

It sounds like you have a suction side air leak.

You need to explain better what happens when you “lose pressure”??? It is rarely a reason to replace the pump.

Welcome to TFP.

You need to explain better what happens when you “lose pressure”??? It is rarely a reason to replace the pump.
I was going to guess the OP means the filter and not the pump since there’s no such thing as a sand pump.

I was going to guess the OP means the filter and not the pump since there’s no such thing as a sand pump.

I think the OP has one of those inexpensive combo sand filter and pumps on a plastic stand. Hard to know what we are discussing which is the reason for the pics.

Reactions: Bperry
Welcome to TFP.

I will post pictures in a bit. I'm not home right now to take any. But by loses pressure, I mean it still sounds as if the pump is trying to work, but it just isn't pumping any water out. Or at least not much.
As if it just isn't able to produce enough force to actually pump the water.

Welcome to TFP.

Here's a picture. Pool isn't full atm. Waiting on the new sand filter to come in before I fill it up to where the hoses go in. I know it's dirty, but I haven't been cleaning it much because no one is using it right now.

Attachments

• 16837447606253033310628304456912.jpg
    16837447606253033310628304456912.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 9
I haven't gotten the sand filter yet. All the ones I've used so far have been cartridge filters.
Most likely a very dirty cartridge filter. Those pumps are built to meet a certain price point, inexpensive. Can't expect much from them. When the filter gets dirty the pump can no longer push water through it. The cartridge in that filter is probably less than 15 sq. ft., maybe as small as 10. It will clog quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most likely a very dirty cartridge filter. Those pumps are built to meet a certain price point, inexpensive. Can't expect much from them. When the filter gets dirty the pump can no longer push water through it. The cartridge in that filter is probably less than 15 sq. ft., maybe as small as 10. It will clog quickly.
Well I thought that may have been the issue as well. So I bought new cartridges for them both times. Still didn't help.
This issue has stumped me and multiple other people. As far as we can tell, I've done everything right with my filters. Yet they all keep messing up the same way. Maybe just bad luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.