Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We had a mustard algae outbreak last weekend which I treated with the SLAM/Mustard SLAM process (so much brushing!) Everything looks clear, and we passed the ONCL test last night/this morning...but I can't get rid of the CC. Do I just need to give it more time or do I need to spike my levels again? We have a party Friday night, so I need to be able to get my FC levels to a reasonable number by then.

FC: 18
CC: 1
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH: 325
CYA: 40

On a slightly related note, should I start upping my CYA to my salt generator level or keep low incase I need to SLAM again? If I keep it low should I stick with LC or can I use my salt cell? If I use salt cell should I adjust schedule to acct for lower CYA?

THX!!

I suppose the first question any of us would ask is .... Has your CC been elevated like this the entire time? A CC of 0.5 or less is one of the regular SLAM passing criteria. If it never dropped below 1 ppm you never actually passed the SLAM.

If you have CC, then SLAM is in order.

On a slightly related note, should I start upping my CYA to my salt generator level or keep low incase I need to SLAM again?
I would not, you need to SLAM.
If I keep it low should I stick with LC or can I use my salt cell? If I use salt cell should I adjust schedule to acct for lower CYA?
Use LC for the SLAM. Yes, when you are done, you should adjust pump schedule or cell output to generate enough chlorine to keep your FC in target range for your CYA Link-->
FC/CYA Levels

If you have CC, then SLAM is in order.

I would not, you need to SLAM.

Use LC for the SLAM. Yes, when you are done, you should adjust pump schedule or cell output to generate enough chlorine to keep your FC in target range for your CYA Link-->
FC/CYA Levels
Regular level or elevated level? Should I do it now (9am) or wait till evening to lose less chlorine?

I suppose the first question any of us would ask is .... Has your CC been elevated like this the entire time? A CC of 0.5 or less is one of the regular SLAM passing criteria. If it never dropped below 1 ppm you never actually passed the SLAM.
I've done so much testing but if I'm recalling, yes I think it has always been at 1, not higher or lower.

So I'll SLAM again - regular level or elevated mustard level? Should I do it now (9am) or wait till evening to lose less chlorine?

With a CYA of 40 my SLAM level should be 16. My current FC is above that at 17 and I still have CC. So what now? Should I slam at a 50 CYA level since that test can be difficult to read?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you clean your test vial with alcohol as Marty suggested? Do that and retest FC and CC.
Solved! I just washed out my cylinder with bleach, and not only did it get rid of that dark overcast residue, but I retested and my FC level is still the same (actually 1 drop higher?) but the CC was 0, or maaaaybe 1 drop needed if I stare really hard.

I’ve never heard of needing to rinse out the cylinders, but this is something I’ll definitely add into my maintenance routine moving forward.

So we’re all in agreement that it sounds like I can start drifting back down to my target level? I’ll probably still do a chlorine loss tonight because I’m paranoid, but I shouldn’t need to spike my chlorine again?

From our Extended Test Directions. FAS-DPD
Over time, it is common for a cloudy residue to build up on sample tubes used for FAS-DPD chlorine testing. The residue can be removed by filling the sample tube with bleach, letting it sit for several minutes, rinsing, and then wiping thoroughly with a paper towel.

Reactions: IceShadow and tikoh
I was interested in this because a consistent CC of 1 is pretty unusual in the context of a good old algae SLAM. I've never cleaned out my cylinder but will do so today. Glad it was resolved!

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.