Can't get pool clear!!

Sprater...welcome to TFP. A good test kit would do wonders to ensure you are hitting shock level. The TF100 from TFtestkits.net or the Taylor k2006 is also good.

It takes a sand filter much longer to filter out algae...I would plan on 5-7 days at shock level, based on that visual....time to hit wally's for their 1.42 gal Great Value 6% household unscented bleach

Oh yeah - That's how I know if I am in the right spot!! I move the vacuum around until I can see the brown coming out and then keep still until it runs clear again. I've done that twice now. Before that I used a leaf eater to make sure that they were all gone. In the past, when it got to this gray-white cloudy point, shutting off the filter overnight worked. But everything has been different this year... I haven't tested anymore today - I just got home. Fixing to go out there and see what the FC level is at and pour in alot more bleach!!

Ugh - no progress... Yesterday, I put in six bottles and not a thing has changed. I just bought ten more and am going to keep pouring in every hour. I went to all the stores in town that I could think of and no one had a test kit any better than the strips that I use. I'm worried that, without a better test kit, I'm just pouring money down the drain every time I pour in another bottle of bleach. I'm about ready to just drain the darn thing and sell it!!! Try to get some of my wasted money back.....

Attachments

• 100_4482a.jpg
    100_4482a.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 85
I went back through your other two pictures, and unless there's something else causing the change, it appears you are making progress. I agree with the above statement that you are looking at 5 to 7 days.

I can't afford a test kit right now - I only get paid once a month and have already spent more than I can afford on the pool..... I usually spend only a small amount and it clears in 2-4 days. I have already spent double (almost triple) what I usually do and had budgeted for. I don't know why it is so different this year. For the past 5 years, it has been really easy. I guess that's why it's so frusterating - I've never had any problem whatsoever getting it clear. So, I am just guessing on what to do and my summer is quickly passing me by... :(

Oh well, gonna post results one last time tonight and re-post in the morning and get input.

TH - 200
FC - too dark to register using my strips
pH - 7.5
TA - 120
CYA - darker then 0 square but lighter than the 30-50 square

Again - I'm just using the hth test strips from Wal-Mart.

It's been over 4 hours since I last added any bleach and the pool has been in complete shade for about 3.5.

Have kept chlorine level off the charts all day. Pool's going into the shade now. All other levels the same. I vacuumed and got a little stuff, but nothing like the other day. I measured how far I can see using my pole and brush attachment. I can see it when it gets 13 inches from the bottom. So, while I thought I was not making any progress, I could not even see more than a foot down on Tuesday. Just looking at it, you'd think nothing had changed... I'm feeling a little better now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like you're making progress to me too. Don't throw in the towel yet - you ARE getting close!! And it will be worth the wait, frustration and costs!

I know you only have test strips... Can you get a set of results from the pool store? It may help paint a better picture of where your levels are.

Hang in there. It looks like its coming along, sometimes it just takes a while. It looks like your at cloudy and blue which is a sign that the chlorine is doing its work. It also usually means that your almost there. Its a matter of how long the filter will take to get all the oxidized debris and algae out. That's why we recommend running it 24/7. I know its frustrating, I've been there a few times. Others here probably more. But every time I find myself in a pool jam, I also find myself learning a lot too.:)

Ok - been too busy to post this past week - summer school! But, I finished all the shocking last weekend - kept the level up overnight (as far as I could tell since I'm using strips to test). I've kept the chlorine level in the safe range and have been getting in the pool!! Yea!! I have vacuumed a few more times and got some more stuff that had settled (plus we live on a dirt road and dust is a problem!) It's still not crystal clear, but it is getting clearer every day! Thought I'd post progress pictures so others can see that this method really works!! :cool:

First three:

Attachments

• 100_4473a.jpg
    100_4473a.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_4473a.jpg
    100_4473a.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_4463a.jpg
    100_4463a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 56
Looking very good, keep at it!
Don't stop paying attention to it or you'll be back where you were. :shock:
Hopefully you got your TF100 kit? :wink:
I bought mine with a credit card as I didn't have the cash right away either, in the long run has saved me so much $$ and headache! :whoot:

Chuck

Looking good! These folks will not let you down. I have lurked here for the past year and joined this year. With the TF100 test kit and TFP's help my pool looks better than it has in the last 3 years. Even better--I went to the pool store only once and that was to get a new o-ring for my pump. They are done sucking $$$ out of my pocket with needless stuff and not very good advice. Also, kudos to you, SPrater, for having the perserverance to hang in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.