Can’t get debris to the skimmer

Cmills96

Mar 29, 2023
Houston, Tx
Hi there! Can anyone please help me to position the return jets correctly so that I can get my skimmer to catch the debris on top of my water? I’ll attach a picture of the drawing of our pool. The return jets are the circled “R”s pointed out by red arrows and the skimmer is pointed out by a yellow arrow! Thanks in advance!!IMG_2698.jpeg

Hopefully your returns can be pointed manually. The best flow will be if you can get the water to somewhat flow in a circle pattern. Look at your red arrows, they are all fighting against each other, if that’s how they are pointed. They should all be oriented in the same direction, like the bottom red one next to the skimmer. They could be angled all to point to the right.

Reactions: DavidArmenB

For me three things help my skimming...

1. Pointing all the returns so that they try and make the pool water swirl like a giant toilet bowl, but obviously much, much slower. This helps drag the debris in front of the skimmer.

2. Operating weir doors.. Weir doors are between the mouth of the skimmer and the skimmer basket. The weir door is what makes the skimmer 'skim' the surface of the water where the debris are.. Without a weir door, your skimmer is only about 50% effective.

3. Water level. Skimmers work best when the water is very low, and work poorly when the water is very high. You don't want your water level to be too low for fear that it will go below the skimmer, so the best compromise is right in the middle of the skimmer's mouth.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
I would try for the toilet bowl method.

Screenshot_20230726_122022_Gallery.jpg

If you try it the other direction, that bump out by the skimmer will likely send it back to the middle.

Screenshot_20230726_121937_Chrome.jpg

Which way does the wind typically blow ?

Reactions: DavidArmenB
I hope not in the direction of the yellow arrow...

If your drains are on a dedicated line back to pad, I'd consider cutting them off 95-100% to force all flow to skimmer. That can make suboptimal skimmer placement a lot more effective.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

For me three things help my skimming...

1. Pointing all the returns so that they try and make the pool water swirl like a giant toilet bowl, but obviously much, much slower. This helps drag the debris in front of the skimmer.

2. Operating weir doors.. Weir doors are between the mouth of the skimmer and the skimmer basket. The weir door is what makes the skimmer 'skim' the surface of the water where the debris are.. Without a weir door, your skimmer is only about 50% effective.

3. Water level. Skimmers work best when the water is very low, and work poorly when the water is very high. You don't want your water level to be too low for fear that it will go below the skimmer, so the best compromise is right in the middle of the skimmer's mouth.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you! Yes we try to keep the water level about halfway or just below half way up the skimmer:)

I would try for the toilet bowl method.

View attachment 517215

If you try it the other direction, that bump out by the skimmer will likely send it back to the middle.

View attachment 517216

Which way does the wind typically blow ?
Thank you! Yeah that bump out by the skimmer is kind of a pain. The wind typically blows SSE in the Houston area. It’s looking like the toilet bowl method is what I definitely need to try:)

Hopefully your returns can be pointed manually. The best flow will be if you can get the water to somewhat flow in a circle pattern. Look at your red arrows, they are all fighting against each other, if that’s how they are pointed. They should all be oriented in the same direction, like the bottom red one next to the skimmer. They could be angled all to point to the right.
Oh that’s not the direction they are pointing! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to confuse anyone. I was just pointing out where everything is on this paper. And yes they can be adjusted manually:)

Reactions: an1vrsy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haha, sorry, I’m an idiot
Nah I was just teasing. Thanks for the laugh. :)

That direction will help with the bottom half but might stop the top half when it's breezy. It's trial and LOTS of error for all of us, so play around and road test it.

Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.