Can't Get CYA (and FC) to Raise ... After Long Period of Filtering and Mystery Goo

ChasPro

Jun 13, 2021
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I have had the worst time starting up my SWCG pool this season, with what seemed like just a slightly cloudy water situation in mid-May. Went through normal startup (pulled cover, filled with water from just below return jet to proper skimming level, added 2 gal liquid shock, ran for several days, etc.). Added 2 lb. of CYA, which I thought would be enough to bring the levels up to a measurable range given the approx. 1/3 pool refill. Along the way I added the startup dose of algaecide. I also use a Clarifier product added to the skimmer. After 2 days, measured < 30 CYA (K-2006 tester with new CYA and CL test refills), I added 2 lb. more CYA. Still nothing.

This year we have more maple tree pods and pollen than any year in a long time, which began to fall into the pool. Possibly also a little cottonwood fallout, but there are no nearby trees to produce a lot of that.

At one point in this process, the pool developed a significant amount of foam on the surface. As the foam subsided, it left behind a grey, greasy residue that accumulated a good 1/8 on the inside of the skimmer basket, inside wall of skimmer, etc. It felt like plumber's putty. I scraped that away and let the system continue to run. I've added about 4 gal of shock on each of two different nights with ~0 FC residual the next day at different points in that first couple of week's time.

On 6/3, I did my own tests and also had a pool shop confirm:

CYA <30 (pool place said 24)
FC 0.2
CC 1.4
TA 130
CA 130
pH 7.4

Frustrated ... and the pool place just as confused ... I was advised to stop throwing chemicals in the pool and just let the filter and SWCG run continuously at 80%. I ran the filter 24/7 continuously for about a week. Along the way it became obvious that the pool was cloudier than I had realized. I began to see piles of maple pods and their stems at the bottom. Vacuumed several times, bringing up a lot of maple pods and pod stems, trapping most of them in the filter pump basket, stop, empty, repeat. After cleaning the bottom of the pool and brushing from inside the pool, I backwashed, re-applied clarifier, and continued 24/7 filtration+SWCG@80%. As of 2 days ago, the pool is clear. No change in the CYA or FC behavior. CC was down. As described in the articles on this site, the SWCG was producing about 1ppm daily, but it was always gone the next morning. Everything is visually clean.

I continued to be suspicious of the greasy foam incident, so Yesterday, I took the sand filter valve off and scooped a layer of goo, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, from the whole top surface of the sand (I use brown sand from the pool store) and removed about 2 in. of sand as well. I don't have any fresh sand, so I can't do a comparison, but it is possible the remaining sand has an oily residue ... I don't know if that's normal because I've never pulled a filter apart mid-season before. Could be the effect of the Clarifier, I don't know. Given that ... it was highly likely that all of the filtration and backwashing was running through some limited channels or on the outside edge of the chamber. Pressure has stayed consistently at 10-12 lb., so nothing to indicate a blockage.

Today, I found this site. Reading through the SLAM and CYA material, it looks like establishing proper CYA is the first step (after pH of course) to prepare for any successful FC accumulation.

This morning: pH 7.4 FC 0.2 CC 0.4
Mid day: Added 1.5 lb. CYA (running SWCG@80% all day)
Now: pH 7.4 FC 1.0 CC 0.4 CYA ... dot just disappears at the top of the tube, which is well below the 30 mark on the scale.

Most of the "Why am I not able to raise CYA?" topics here speculate about water loss, etc. I don't see any unexpected loss. No drips, water levels consistent, only a little rain this whole time. Topped off maybe 1"-2" earlier in the week.

My plan is to continue running the filter+SWCG@80% overnight and measure the basics again in the AM, just in case the CYA measurement is lagging for some reason. I'll share those number tomorrow.

If there are any other ideas this evening ... I'm all ears.

Thanks!

You added 13 ppm CYA. How did you add it?

For now, assume your CYA is 30 ppm and raise your FC level to 12 ppm using liquid chlorine. Follow the SLAM Process

Granulated CYA, 100%, added to skimmer basket each time.

I don't have liquid shock today. My main pool place doesn't have any due to a local producer being out of service. I have several 16 oz bags of granular shock, 68% Calcium Hypochlorite. Says 10 oz will raise 10,000 gal by 5ppm. So, 16 oz bag should bring my 13500 up by 5.9 or so. Says mix with warm water and distribute in pool.

I just went in the pool. Picked out about 3 leaves, felt the walls and bottom, with only one spot slightly slippery. Brushed all surfaces. Not much in the way of dustup. Otherwise, clean like I had observed earlier.

Should I try the shock I have on hand?

Please clarify as well ... Run filter overnight for SLAM but not for chlorine drop test ... Or off overnight for both procedures?

You added the stabilizer directly into the skimmer? Not dissolving it within a sock? If so, it will take several days to a week for it to fully show up.
Cal Hypo is not recommended, but if you wish to use it, that is fine. Be sure it fully dissolves or it can stain your liner.
Filter should be run 24/7 for SLAM. It is fine for the OCLT too.

CYA product says, "add directly to skimmer with filter running or mix in small quantities at a time with warm water and add to pool" That's always worked fine for this product for the past 9 years ... Don't know otherwise. It's been about 3 weeks since the first 4 lb were added ... but who knows what the goo did to that.

OK ... I'll put 2 bags of this shock in tonight, turn off SWG, take a measurement around 9pm, and run all night. We'll see what's up in the morning.

Thanks for being there.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Reactions: ChasPro
6/13 7pm - Added 32 oz. granular shock
6/13 8pm - Tested using 0.5 x drops: FC 15.5 CC ~0.5 {it was not dark yet, but sun was not on pool}
6/14 5:40am - Tested using 0.5 x drops: FC 8 CC ~0.5 {not dark, but approx. sunrise}
It rained last evening and rain is in the forecast for today at 40% chance. Cloudy to Mostly Cloudy at different times.

Q: Should I be using the "0.2 x drops" counting method for either or both measurements (evening/morning) so the value is more precise?

Q: Should I monitor FC and shock with 16 oz granular when it drops to, say 6 ... or add chlorine at any time it is below the target 12? The SLAM says to "Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical ..." and "Chlorine additions should be frequent ...", which implies the goal is to maintain the FC throughout the day as opposed to simply shocking each evening to bring the level back up for the overnight. Thus, the use of liquid chlorine, which you can add incrementally in specific amounts. If that's a correct understanding, I'll seek out liquid bleach or shock today.

Should I be using the "0.2 x drops" counting method for either or both measurements (evening/morning) so the value is more precise?
No , that is not necessary.
or add chlorine at any time it is below the target 12?
Correct. As often as possible, no less than 3-4 times per day, test your FC and add chlorine to raise it back to 12 ppm.

Purchased 8 gal 12.5% chlorine @ pool store. Estimated 1/2 gal needed. Added at 12:00. Measured at 12:40pm: FC ~13.5

Downloaded and configured PoolMath on my Android phone ... all set to get accurate "add amounts" going forward. Nice app, even with the subscription price.

I'll update each morning unless something strange is going on during the day. Now, back to my day job.

Results below using 0.5x drop test. Did not take a reading after adding last night's Cl boost, so we might assume it was 12 and we have an approx. 1 ppm change overnight. Probably best to do another day and actually measure after adding the last boost tonight? Or, is this evidence enough to move on? I will continue to SLAM today unless advised otherwise.

Pool is really clear since yesterday ... as in "looked clean" two days ago, but "really clear" with 12 ppm in there. I have not vacuumed during the SLAM, so I will do that this morning to be sure anything on the bottom is really worked on by the Cl today. There are a few spots with some tree scraps, but not more than normal for a few days time. Part of the process though, so I don't want to discount it's benefits.

===================================
ChasPro01
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 13500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 11.0 (7 minutes ago)
pH: 7.4 (yesterday)
TA: 140 (8 hours ago)
CH: 130 (15 days ago)
CYA: < 30
SALT: 3000 (15 days ago)
===================================
Test Results 06-15-2021 @ 05:51 AM
Free Chlorine: 11.0

Chemical Addition 06-14-2021 @ 09:09 PM
+ 48 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 06-14-2021 @ 09:02 PM
Free Chlorine: 8.5
Total Alkalinity: 140

Notes 06-14-2021 @ 08:00 PM
Rained for 2 hrs, moderately.

Chemical Addition 06-14-2021 @ 04:46 PM
+ 21 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 06-14-2021 @ 04:39 PM
Free Chlorine: 10.5

Test Results 06-14-2021 @ 12:36 PM
Free Chlorine: 13.5

Chemical Addition 06-14-2021 @ 11:53 AM
+ 64 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 06-14-2021 @ 05:50 AM
Free Chlorine: 8.0
pH: 7.4

Test Results 06-13-2021 @ 07:50 PM
Free Chlorine: 15.5
pH: 7.4

Chemical Addition 06-13-2021 @ 07:00 PM
+ 32 Ounces of CalHypo65 {or maybe 68}

Notes 06-13-2021 @ 05:00 PM
Told to assume level is 30 for SLAM event, then retest after a few days. Do not backwash or clean filter for 1 week.
Set ...
CYA: 30

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Notes 06-15-2021 @ 07:33 AM
Vacuumed, brushed bottom and walls. Rinsed skimmer and pump baskets.

Chemical Addition 06-15-2021 @ 06:15 AM
+ 14 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 06-15-2021 @ 05:51 AM
Free Chlorine: 11.0

Test Results 06-15-2021 @ 11:54 AM
Free Chlorine: 13.0
CYA: 35

Sunny and 65 deg today

Drop of approx. 1 ppm overnight. Yesterday, CYA measured near 35 (first day it was on the scale vs. below 30). Goal is to eventually get CYA into SWCG required range. Will continue to wait for any buildup in filter to dissolve.

@mknauss Do I stop SLAM and let CL recover now?

================================
ChasPro01
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 13500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 12.7 (19 minutes ago)
CC: 0.2 (19 minutes ago)
pH: 7.4 (2 days ago)
TA: 140 (yesterday)
CH: 130 (16 days ago)
CYA: 35 (18 hours ago)
SALT: 3000 (16 days ago)
=================================
Test Results 06-16-2021 @ 05:45 AM
Free Chlorine: 12.7
Combined Chlorine: 0.2

Notes 06-16-2021 @ 05:44 AM
25-26 drops is 12.5 - 13 ppm CL

Test Results 06-15-2021 @ 09:12 PM
Free Chlorine: 13.7

Notes 06-15-2021 @ 09:11 PM
27-28 drops is 13.5 - 14 ppm Cl

Chemical Addition 06-15-2021 @ 05:45 PM
+ 55 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 06-15-2021 @ 05:34 PM
Free Chlorine: 10.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.2

Did ya miss me? I've been watching my crystal clear, 65 degree, pool slowly drop Cl since Wednesday. I've also set my avatar to show my nice pool, nestled in a shady corner of my lot here in cool Buffalo NY. None of that 106 degree NV heat and sunshine. Thus ... the 65 degree water. Here's where we are for those following along:

FC = 4.5
CC = ~0.2
pH = 7.5
TA = 135
CH = 120
CYA = ??? Somewhere between 25 and 35, I'd say.

I've been reading the CYA articles today:

and our friend @mknauss helps us understand that we are glancing at the dot ... not engraining it in our brains ... Is there a more accurate CYA test than Taylor’s?

So, I'll spend today practicing and update tomorrow, the 1 week anniversary of this thread and @mknauss advice to let it sit for a week to be sure all of the CYA loaded into the filter sand has had time to dissolve. And ... just a refresher ... I've already added about 5 lb. of CYA this season ... which I still don't understand where it went.

I'll also try to find a sock.

Assuming CYA is low at that point, do we concern ourselves with TA or begin to address the low CYA (to reach the ~70 specified for SWG)?

Last edited:
Address low CYA.
TA is of no consequence to your pool water chemistry. You need the value for Poolmath to determine how much acid to add to lower the pH, when that is necessary.

Man ... you are too quick to the draw! OK. I'll take small steps though ... Try to bring CYA up to a confident 40 or 50 before going all in. That way if something is wrong, I won't be wasting $ adding more and refilling my pool in the end.

Thanks!

@mknauss ... I've been gradually trying to bring CYA up, as that was the original intent of this post. There have been a few severe rain events since last update, so some of the added CYA may have been lost when draining ... but I'm up to 8.5 lb added this season and still only measuring 50 with new chemicals. Can you review the history in my tfp app logs and let me know what you think is going on. Notes of when it rained and drained are included there.

Pool still looks good even through the storms. Did boost CL a few times with liquid vs. SWG, so that helped keep CL up. No purposeful shock treatment though.

Anyway ... Still don't know where 8.5 lb of CYA went. That should have taken the whole pool up by 74 above the winter retained levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.