Can't get chlorine up - not sure what to do

roger-write said:
Now that I am in maintenance mode, I have another question. I am trying to hold the chlorine level around 6 to 7. I check it daily and it appears that I am adding about 160 to 180 ounces of 6% per day. Just curious if this sounds about correct? My CC is less than 0.5. Even though bleach is relatively cheap, adding it daily in this manner could add up. It is what it is, but I just wanted a reality check. Do I need to check and add every day?
First, did you pass all three criteria to be done shocking? See red lines in my sig.

Will you post a full set of test results for us?

That is about 3 ppm of chlorine a day. A typical pool needs more like 2 ppm of chlorine a day, less but not very different. What is your CYA level? It seems likely your CYA level is probably a little too low.

Yes, I passed all 3 tests. I also just rechecked all my numbers. They are as follows:

PH: 7.6 or slightly more (this has been inching up)
TA: 110 (hasn't changed at all)
CH: 260 (has come down from about 320)
CYA: 50 (more accurate now that water is clear)
CC: < 0.5
FC: 7 (perfect since I added bleach an hour ago to raise it exactly to this level)

First, I suggest you add your daily FC (up to 7 or 8) in the evening after the sun is off the pool.

Try this a couple days and see if it helps.

If you have kids using the pool, you could read the usual riot act to them about proper pool etiquette :wink:

Also, since the CYA test is +/- 10ish ppm, you may be closer to 40 than 50 and might need more. I'd wait on this, tho, and try the other ideas first.

Is your pool in full sun all day long?

It's in the sun up until mid to late afternoon. Although the last couple of days have been cloudy.

I assume that If I do end up needing to add CYA, I can make use of some of the shock, hockey pucks I have on hand?

I will try adding in the evening as you suggest. Thanks.

roger-write said:
I assume that If I do end up needing to add CYA, I can make use of some of the shock, hockey pucks I have on hand?
You could, however that is a slow process for increasing CYA. You might prefer to save those hockey pucks for vacation time.

Let's hope that adding the chlorine in the evening will save some chlorine. By adding it in the evening, the chlorine only has to work on the nasties in the pool and not give up any fighting power to the sun.

roger-write said:
Got it! Thanks I'll try adding in the evening.

I have a whole bunch of hockey pucks since I bought a giant 50 lbs before I came across this website. I can probably afford to use some of them anyway.
Be aware that some pucks contain Copper. The ones I've seen were labeled "Triple Action". High Copper can cause staining. You can calculate how much CYA each puck will add to your pool by weighing the pucks. I managed to use up mine this way when needing to up my CYA. The pucks were around 7 ounces apiece. A Trichlor puck at 7 ounces will raise a 25,000 gallon pool around 1.2 ppm CYA and Chlorine by 1.9 ppm. Take a look at Pool calculator. It's an invaluable tool and a stellar feat of programing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.