gtty

Aug 11, 2012
Houston, Tx. (West Houston)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. My 2hp single stage pentair pump died so I replaced it with a Leslie’s Jacuzzi JVS270S variable speed pump (max 2.7hp). Since this pump sits higher I had to move the pump location due to overhead piping from the filter. I got it all back together and it appears I have a suction leak beacuase the pump basket will not completely fill. I’ve greased up all o-rings, went back and externally double cemented the pipe fitting joints. I’ve also replaced all the Jandy valve o-rings and greased them and even wrapped all connections with cling wrap to send I can choke off any suction leaks. Any ideas on what I may be missing, other that an underground leak :/

Here is a link to my setup I inherited when we bought the house. The pics are before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_9500.jpeg
    IMG_9500.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9658.jpeg
    IMG_9658.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Cementing the outside of the pipes does nothing. Does the leak persist regardless of whether you are drawing water from the 100% from the spa or 100% from the pool?

Yes. Leak is with all configurations. It figure it has to be the main jandy just before the pump or the pump itself.
Did any of the original manifold plumbing change? It doesn’t appear so and it was working before, so I would first look at the changed configuration circled in red. Run a load of water around those joints with a garden hose and see if the flow into the pump changes. If you find a joint that does, there’s your likely suspect.

IMG_0630.jpeg

Ran a hose over all connections and pump didn’t change tone and basket didn’t fill. Took the pipe spool off and looked closely at the joints I had repainted with PVC cement and there were no break in the seams. And the cling wrap around each joint did nothing either.

Do you have an IFCS? A pressure of 28 on your filter seems really high, is that normal for your system?

Probably a dumb question, but I assume you used primer prior to cementing?

Do you have an IFCS? A pressure of 28 on your filter seems really high, is that normal for your system?

Probably a dumb question, but I assume you used primer prior to cementing?
ssems like it was23 or so when I first installed the filter. Yes, I used the purple primer on both sides of the joint, as well cement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Problem found and temporarily solved. Turns out one of the Jandy valves had a small crack in the housing on the underside about 4 inches below gf the ground. I found the issue by installing a garden hose in the drain port of the pump and pressuring the isolated piping. Temporarily fixed using clear silicone until new handy valves arrive.