Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Hi all,

I switched my hot tub over to Bromine from chlorine. Tub was balanced and at below 1ppm chlorine. I added 3 2oz packages of sodium bromide, have a "bromine" tab floater, and leisure time "renew". Having a hard time getting a bromine reading with my Taylor test kit. Note: I was told by my old pool guy that my spa is 1600gal (Viking Mystic), I looked it up and the only thing I could find said 550gal max capacity. I think both are wrong as it is 10'x10' round with stairs and a seat all around. I'm going with approx 800gal. Even so, I believe the 6oz should be good for 1200 gal.

Any thoughts?

Are you sure the packets were only sodium bromide?
How old are your reagents?
Your signature only shows the k1001 kit
If you had an fas/dpd kit you could check with that to confirm.

Are you sure the packets were only sodium bromide?
How old are your reagents?
Your signature only shows the k1001 kit
If you had an fas/dpd kit you could check with that to confirm.
Yes, I double checked the packets. Everything is brand new: within a month. Fas/dpd? Still relatively new here, but I'm willing to get one.

Yes, I double checked the packets. Everything is brand new: within a month. Fas/dpd? Still relatively new here, but I'm willing to get one.
I also have the Taylor 1004 that tests for free and total chlorine. I thought these tests don't do the same for bromine?

Ok, so I shocked again and got it up to 10ppm after 15 minutes of waiting. Then, about a half hour later, it was down to normal levels. Seems fast to go down that quick... but I'm new to Bromine. Is this normal? I do know that the Phosphates were the only other thing "high" at 700 for the spa. Though, I wouldn't think that would affect this.

Have you ever purged this spa?
Biofilms can cause a high sanitizer demand so we recommend purging with Ahhsome every 3-6 months when you drain & refill.
That said the demand is just kinda high in a spa compared to a pool (lots o people, little water) so it requires watchful management lest nasties will grow quickly.
Every tub is different so your testing will be your guide.
Forgive my manners, I forgot to give you the bromine guide
Also, here’s the chlorine one as well
They are both pinned 📌 at the top of this sub forum as well.

Reactions: jkarn
Have you ever purged this spa?
Biofilms can cause a high sanitizer demand so we recommend purging with Ahhsome every 3-6 months when you drain & refill.
That said the demand is just kinda high in a spa compared to a pool (lots o people, little water) so it requires watchful management lest nasties will grow quickly.
Every tub is different so your testing will be your guide.
Forgive my manners, I forgot to give you the bromine guide
Also, here’s the chlorine one as well
They are both pinned 📌 at the top of this sub forum as well.
I haven't "purged" as we close this for the winter and just opened it. Is this something I should do even with a spa that is essentially a smaller hot pool? I.e. it's the same fiberglass shell as the pool, same type of pump and filter. Note: we do not cover this as it's so large that it would be very cumbersome. Looking at a possible thermolite cover, but for now we use a solar cover at night.

Last edited:
Ahaaa, outside uncovered, that’s the trouble.
You will likely want to stick with chlorine then as bromine is depleted quickly in the sun. There’s no way to protect it unlike chlorine which can be protected from the sun with cya.
Whilst using bromide/bromine you will need to keep it covered during the day. Maybe add another solar cover?
To return to a chlorine tub you will need to drain & start over.
Before you drain the next time you would do the Ahhsome purge, then refill.
Hot tubs (even large ones like yours) are basically people soup & biofilms accumulate. They are resistant to chlorine so purging helps remove them from the plumbing allowing you to get a fresh start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.