Cannot clear up a cloudy pool, have tried everything!

You really do need to replace some water with a CYA so high.

Do you have any pucks in a inline holder? Just thought I would ask in case you do.

Only use liquid bleach or chlorine. No powder, pucks, ect.

When you get the CYA down you will see progress.

Kim

I am going to let 2/3 of water out of pool and then refill from hose (tap water) besides liquid chlorine, are there any chemicals I should have on hand? How will tap water affect pH and other values? I would like to buy anticipated chemicals today so I can start balancing as soon as pool is full. Also, is there any benefit to adding more liquid chlorine while the water level is lower? (I'm still draining.....)

Thanks!
Krista

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP krisjean.

If your CYA read over 100 on your own test, it may be well over 100. Re-reading this thread it looks like the first CYA reading you posted was the pool stores. They (pool store tests) are notoriously off when it comes to CYA. I would trust your results. Since you are already draining, the refill and test CYA again. Your target SLAM level depends on that CYA reading. If it still reads 100 you can try the test with 50% pool water and 50% tap water then add the reagent do your test and double the result.

If your CYA is truly 100+ that explains your trouble clearing the pool as your FC has been too low.

You can check you hose PH and TA so you know if it is high or low according to pool use.

It would not hurt to add chlorine as you fill it up BUT you willneed a way to mix it in good. A broom as you walk around will work.

Good luck!

Kim

Re: Why noone mentions Liquid Chlorine ?

Finally making progress! Yesterday pool was green, today pool is blue! I can easily see the bottom. It is still a bit cloudy so will continue SLAMing.
This morning:
FC=27
CC = 0.5
CYA = between 70 and 80.

so I added some more liquid chlorine to get back up to appropriate shock level based on pool calculator. I also am vacuuming.
I plan to clean the filter when vacuuming is done. How am I doing? Should I expect a clear pool soon?

We are having a hot day on Wednesday and I'd love to be in it!!

Thank you!

I see you had a big jump in the CYA level. Was that from your testing or Leslie's? Keep slamming with the liquid chlorine until the pool is clear, your CC is .5 or less, and you pass the overnight chlorine loss test. Since you are already in the cloudy-clear stage it shouldn't take long. As long as you can see your feet when you stand in the deepest part of the pool it is safe to swim up to shock level.

Can you please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here :lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

The method used here is with liquid bleach (chlorine) and we tend to stay away from pool stores and their advise. Do you have your own test kit ??

Unless you have a SWG you shouldn't have your CYA so high. The powder you added from Leslie's is composed of calcium hypochlorite and shouldn't have added to the CYA level. If the test is accurate you need to dump some water and dilute what you have down to a more reasonable 30-50ppm CYA level. It's cheaper to SLAM and to maintain as you don't need as much bleach $$$ to do the same job with a lower CYA level.

You understand to SLAM it's more a matter of maintaining the FC level and not just bringing it back up to SLAM ??

There was a previous thread that answers alot of these questions.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...up-a-cloudy-pool-have-tried-everything!/page2

I drained some water out of the pool yesterday which is why CYA went down. I'm so excited! This forum has been amazing!
Yes I understand I need to maintain the shock level until the pool is clear. I do have my own test kit. The CYA was actually over 100 and
draining some of the water got it down to 70-80. i realize that is still high but I'm ok with that. I was about to pay a company $500 to fix this problem
so I'm fine needing more liquid chlorine to maintain the higher level.
Thanks all! I will update again later!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Krista,

Great feeling when you begin to gain control, isn't it? :goodjob: Keep it up!

Oh, and it's much easier if you try to keep everything in a single thread so that the complete story of your pool can be seen by those offering advice. ;-)

I am finished SLAMing, now what?

Ok boys and girls,

My FC stayed exactly the same overnight, the CC = 0.4 and my pool is blue. It's not as crystal clear as I would like but it definitely looks great! So I think I am all set! I just need to let my FC levels drop to my target of between 5 and 8 (CYA is 70) and then I can swim???? Is there anything to do to get it crystal blue again? I had a thread for my experience but it says The token has expired on my thread for this issue, not sure what that means....

Thanks!
Krista

Re: I am finished SLAMing, now what?

It is safe to swim up to SLAM value for your level of CYA. Let it filter longer than you normally would for awhile and see if that helps clear it. Is the filter clean?

Krista, in order to consider a SLAM complete, you need to pass all the criteria simultaneously: Crystal clear water, CC < 0.5, and 1 ppm or less overnight loss. You aren't crystal clear, you aren't done. So close and I would hate to see you lose your progress by doing too soon. So keep your chlorine up to SLAM a little longer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.