Can You Help Me?

I am trying to unhook the copper ion since I don't really need it. Just not sure what or how to disconnect it. Isn't it the one with the four copper looking things on the left side of the SWG? I have it sitting in vinegar right now. What do I use to cover the hole if I take that out? Am I misunderstanding?

Ok got it! Hopefully that will help somewhat. Thanks for all of your help. I will be getting back on sometime later to ask about winterizing. You guys and gals have been such a huge help to me and I really appreciate it! :wave:

Ok disregard my previous post! I found the steps to winterize. My question now is do I use bleach or algaecide? What is "shock" level, and is it ok to just cover with the cover that came with the pool?

Ok I can't get anyone to respond to my latest post about winterizing my pool! I something wrong? OR are yall tired of me!! LOL... I have a thermometer in my pool to keep up with the temperature of the water. I think my next step when the water reaches 60 or so degrees, is to bring it to shock level. I am not sure what "shock level" means exactly. Does that mean to bring all my numbers up to a certain level and leave it with pumps unhooked and all? Please respond....:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It says http 404 not found! I can't open that link! All I mainly need to know is the shock level. If I drain my pool low enough to fix a few of the legs for next Spring. Do I need to lower it then test it? What should my numbers be if the pool is only half full? Do I even need to add anything before I close it?

Sorry, it didn't copy over properly. At the top of this page, on the right...you will see a button called Pool School. Follow that, under POOL EQUIPMENT you will see the link to closing your above ground pool. It will tell you step by step what to do.

To know what your shock level is for your pool, Follow Pool School, under POOL CHEMISTRY, there is a link to the Pool Calculator. At the bottom of that calculator, you will see the shock info for your type of pool. Hope that helps!

Test results on a body of water is the same, no matter if it's 4,000 gallons or 50,000 gallons. We all measure in a small vial. That vial doesn't know how big our pool is. just sayin.

Ok thanks! This is my first year to even have a pool and this forum is the greatest! This will be my first time to close for the winter and I just want to avoid a mess come spring. Just wasn't sure if what I am reading includes the SWG use or not. I will be disconnecting all pumps and taking them inside for the winter. Not even sure I will be covering the pool. Thanks for your help.

You are so welcome! We were all new at one time or another! People here are very patient and will help if they can. I'm new too, but happy to help when I can.

Good luck with your pool!!

mimidjets said:
Ok disregard my previous post! I found the steps to winterize. My question now is do I use bleach or algaecide? What is "shock" level, and is it ok to just cover with the cover that came with the pool?
Sorry I missed this. I guess I stopped reading at the first sentence! :hammer:

If you're going to remove the equipment I'd strongly suggest you cover it. If you don't cover it there's no chance of a good opening. Unless you're going to completely drain it.

Where do you live? I'm asking because I'm in Texas... and it might be different for someone that lives in the colder climates.

:wave: Oh, you're not that far neighbor! We live in Waxahachie. I'll let someone with more knowledge help you with your equipment!

I'm leaving our pool running this winter (it's an inground pool tho.) I have a "freeze protection" thing on mine. I have to read up on that since it's my first year with this pool. You might check with some neighbors there and ask what they do too. That being said, I would still follow the advice you get from these folks here on this forum. I would consider their opinion heavily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.