Can you convert a buttress oval to a buttress free oval pool?

karescholz

Aug 22, 2023
Indianapolis, IN
Hello,

Purchased a pool two years ago with a buttress and was not aware that the buttress was two feet out from what I had planned. This could possibly go to my septic finger. Do you know if you can take a buttress oval pool and convert it to a buttress free pool? The only reason I had it for two years is that I had two scammers take my money and run. So, found an honest person and that is when we found out that the buttress extends beyond what I measured and into septic finger system.

The buttress is part of your pool’s support. They do make buttress-free oval pools, but the frame is engineered differently. I don’t think you can forego with your current pool, but let’s see if any structure folks chime in.

It is not as easy as removing the buttresses.

A buttress free pool uses connecting beams that run under the pool, from leg to leg, to hold the legs in place. The legs have gusset plates that attach them to the beams.

So you would have to find the beams, and then find gusseted legs that somehow match your pools top rails and match the connecting beams hole patterns. The gussets on the legs also stick out 8"-10", so going buttress free is not going to save you the entire length of the buttress.

I would be VERY leery of trying to modify the structural components of a pool as a DIY project (and I do a LOT of DIY projects)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.