Memorial Villages, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I just received a Calimar VS pump that I'll be installing over the weekend. Also purchased a pump automation control board that I will use with an iAqualink system and relays to control pump speeds.

My current fixed-speed pump is controlled by my main filter pump relay. I noticed that my NG heater is also connected to the load side of this relay (ie when the filter pump is switched off, the heater control panel is completely dead). I assume this was done as an additional safety step to ensure that the heater isn't manually switched on via the control panel while the filter pump is off.

It it safe and/or typical to have a heater be powered up 100% of the time? I guess I'd be counting on the flow/pressure sensors to ensure that it wouldn't be fired without the pump running (and/or with the pump running on low speed).

Which of the following wiring options would be preferred?

Option 1: wire both VS pump and heater to 240V line side, so both are powered up 100% of the time. Heater on/off controlled via iAqualink fireman's switch.

Option 2: Switch heater from 240V to 120V, use one of the iAqualink relays to BOTH close the "speed 2" circuit on the VS pump (high enough speed for heater and spa to run) AND power up the heater. ie on the relay:

LINE 1 = 5V input from automation adapter
LOAD 1 = "speed 2" circuit for VS pump automation adapter
LINE 2 = 120V hot
LOAD 2 = 120V hot to heater

(for Option 2, heater would still be controlled via iAqualink fireman's switch, but the heater control panel would be switched off unless the appropriate VS pump speed was selected).

Sorry for the long-winded question and thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited:
Your setup is fine.

Leave your heater powered by the filter/pump relay LOAD side.

Your Aqualink controls the heater using the Firemans switch. The Aqualink is not going to call for heat when the pump is not on.

The Firemans switch is the primary heater control. The pressure switch is the backup safety control.

Thanks for your inputs.

Once I install the VS pump, it will be connected to constant power, rather than the iAqualink Filter Pump relay that switches the existing pump and heater control board on and off together. I was planning to reuse this relay to control speed 1 on the pump (ie a low speed) via the automation adapter.

If I understand correctly - this is a common setup anytime a pump is switched to a VS pump (ie the pump is connected to constant power and then controlled by automation either via relays or via an RS485 cable).

If there is no longer a relay switching power to the main pump, is it then ok to leave the heater control board powered up all the time? Primary heater control will be via low voltage fireman's switch.

I think this is debatable. Since your heater has a blower it should be on the line side.
Sure, lets debate it.

Why should a heater with a blower controlled by the Firemans switch be connected to the line side?

If I understand correctly - this is a common setup anytime a pump is switched to a VS pump (ie the pump is connected to constant power and then controlled by automation either via relays or via an RS485 cable).

The common setup is to connect the VS pump to constant power and continue to use the filter/pump relay for devices that should only be powered when the pump is running like the heater and SWG.

If there is no longer a relay switching power to the main pump, is it then ok to leave the heater control board powered up all the time? Primary heater control will be via low voltage fireman's switch.

Is your JXI heater display lit when the pump is running but the heater is not running?

I am more familiar with the Pentair MasterTemp where the heater control board is not powered when the pump is running and the heater is off.

Why should a heater with a blower controlled by the Firemans switch be connected to the line side?
The blower continues to run after the cfh has ended helping with the cool down period and clearing out any exhaust especially if the heater was indoors. Having the power killed to the heater is a little redundant if it’s being controlled by the fireman switch. Having it on the load side for atmospheric heaters is a good idea especially if the unit is older for that added safety.

Reactions: gkw4815
Thanks again for everyone's feedback/input. My main concern with leaving the heater powered up all of the time was that our kids might try to turn it on using the heater controls while the VS pump is running in low-speed mode. I did a bit more checking - and it appears that my heater is already configured to disregard commands to start up from the built-in control panel. When I push the POOL or SPA heat buttons, all that happens is a message shows up that says "REMOTE TSTAT ENABLED". In other words, it seems that the heater is only responding to commands from the fireman's switch / iAqualink system.

With this in mind, I'll proceed with leaving both the heater control panel and new VS pump powered up all of the time. Primary heater control will be via the fireman's switch, and I'll configure the iAqualink OneTouch settings so that a command to heat the pool or spa also activates the relay that kicks the pump up to a higher speed. Flow and pressure sensors are there as backups in case someone attempts to start the heater while the VS pump is at a low speed.

Is your JXI heater display lit when the pump is running but the heater is not running?

I am more familiar with the Pentair MasterTemp where the heater control board is not powered when the pump is running and the heater is off.
Yes it is. When the pump is off, the display is blank. When the pump is on, the display is on but the control panel does not respond to heat commands, except to display "REMOTE TSTAT ENABLED".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.