Can my pump be to big?

vt425

Jun 4, 2023
Vermont
I am new to the pool world and just purchased a coleman 18' x 48" pool that comes with a cartridge filter and I want to upgrade to a sand filter. I am looking at the 12" intex sand filter that has a 0.3 hp pump and is rated for 2800-12800 gallons of water. Or I could go up the 0.6 or 0.75 hp pump with either a 14" or 16" sand filter that are rated for a minimum of 5500 gallons. The pool at 90% says it holds 6090 gallons. Is the 0.6 or 0.75 hp pumps overkill and could they cause any damage to the pool?

A sand filter is not an upgrade it is just more work. I would just leave this as is and run it for the season using this site's (TFP) water settings. Water cleanliness, clarity and sanitation is a function of proper chlorine levels and other chemical balance. It is not how good the filter is. Owner testing with a high quality test kit like the TF-100 is the cornerstone to happy pool ownership. Check out pool school!

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: wireform
I just installed our first Above Ground pool (in my signature) and there are so many things to spend money on after the pool purchase. An upgraded pump/filter crossed my mind as well, but, after finally getting my TFP-Pro test kit, PoolMath App subscription, and reading all the basic Pool School articles (most of them a few times), I find my biggest need now is some sort of vacuum. The advertisement for the pool failed to mention, without a vacuum, there's no reasonable way to clean up the sand and dirt and junk on the floor of the pool. What do you use for a vacuum? Is it a suction vacuum running off the pump? Is that a consideration for your new pump/filter purchase?

I am glad I asked as I now might hold off on the sand filter for a little while. I was hoping to vacuum with it but is the next best alternative for a vacuum? I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on chemicals and setups I just put up my pool today but have not filled it yet. I didn't realize it did not come with a tarp to go under it so I have to grab one tomorrow...

I was hoping to vacuum with it but is the next best alternative for a vacuum?

I just ordered one of these Pool Blaster Max vacuums, its been recommended a few times on this forum and has very good Amazon reviews.. I would really love an automatic robot vac but the cost is more than a little bit too much. I literally have piles of sand/dirt i just sweep to one end of the pool for now.

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on chemicals and setups...
I would highly recommend sticking to the TFP method, read the basic Pool School articles, it makes sense, keeps it as simple as possible and avoids the many unnecessary confusing products sold by the pool stores. I spent $150 my first trip to the pool store, trusting they could help me understand what I needed, they were so confusing, didn't have any method other than pour about this much of this, approx. this much of that, etc., etc.. No method, impossible to understand and very expensive. Now I have a good test kit, a few common chemicals you can buy almost anywhere, and the PoolMath app that indicates exactly what to add and when. I highly recommend these easy to understand Pool School articles before doing anything else.

• Love
Reactions: clambert1273
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.