Can in-pool ladder rest partially on top rail?

Jul 21, 2014
Tipton, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
This is our first year with deck access to our AGP, so we needed a new ladder. We tried a couple in-pool ladders, but I returned them because they were far less sturdy than what we expected. So currently I've modified the A-frame ladder that we already owned (Main Access Smart Choice), and mounted it to the deck. I used some pretty beefy structural wood screws to attach the edge of the top platform area to a joist, and I've attached a deck board underneath the ladder's platform to level the entire assembly. So I have a very strong ladder-to-deck connection on one end, but the opposite end of the platform is resting on my top rail. The bottom of the ladder steps are positioned nicely on the floor of the pool, very little movement.

Is this a recipe for disaster, or is the pool's wall and rail system designed to hold vertical weight like this?

Help please!

A photo would go a long way here...is it a soft sided or hard sided pool? Look at my avatar picture, ours is a hard sided vinyl lined pool. If yours is like that you're fine. If it's a soft sided one with the metal tubes I'd be worried personally.

You're totally fine. I'm (cough) really heavy and I've stood on / dove off of our rails. It wasn't the best idea but it didn't hurt them at all. (about 375lbs)

Thanks, I feel better already. I go about a buck-eighty but watching my (cough) larger father-in-law get in and out yesterday got me wondering.

Any recommendations on a sturdier in-pool ladder, or do you need to upgrade to steps to get that solid feel?

Reactions: cznkane
We tried a number of different ladders and things, nothing held up to my stress testing until we tried these. They are SOLID...I get in and out with ease and have no concerns whatsoever about these...they do not flex one bit under my weight. We have both the main staircase and the add on curved bit. Great for the kiddos to be able to sit and play on the steps while adults get in and out.

The style ladder you've got now lasted one time with me and folded up like a playing card :LOL:

We have the confer 1x double setup since we do not have a deck yet. You can use a single 1x as just in pool steps. They are rated for 400lbs and I believe it. I am far too close to that number to admit and they don't so much as flex when I use them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.