Can I replace my skimmer without pulling down liner? (re: pictures inside; cracks in skimmer basket)

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
It looks like my skimmer basket got cracked over the winter:
IMG_6930.jpeg

Here is the skimmer:
IMG_6932.jpeg IMG_6933.jpeg

I've been looking at videos and it seems like I need to pull down the liner and replace the entire skimmer? I was hoping the basket (?) was separate from the skimmer frame (?) (the thing inside the pool) but I'm a bit lost.

Can anybody give me any advice?

My local pool shop wants $160 for the Hayward wide-mouth skimmer replacement which seems a bit much compared to the Amazon alternatives.

Thanks for any help!

To replace the skimmer you don’t “pull down” the liner.
You would drain the water level down to just below the skimmer. You want the liner to stay in place. To avoid messing with the liner at all you may can just replace the skimmer from the outer box back but you will still have to buy the whole thing because it isn’t sold separately. You’ll want to confirm that the replacement you buy is the same part number that you currently have.
IMG_6376.jpeg
This video will give you an idea of how the skimmer is attached and the order of doing things

Thanks so much for the help! I'll probably try to repair it with an epoxy like suggested, but does anybody know if the Hayward SP1091WM is available in gray?

My dealer says mine should be a Hayward but it seems like they only available in white. They said they could order it in gray but I don't see any information about that color online?

Curios as to what you ended up doing? I have the same problem and now it's time to open the pool. I purchased an exact replacement skimmer. Have lowered the water to just below the skimmer, but am nervous about the possibility of the liner shifting. Pool store said just put some duct tape on either side of it to hold in place while I swap them out. I don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.