Can I replace above grnd pool motor's plug that burned down?

May 15, 2015
Atlanta-GA-
Hi
I am opening the pool and the motor kept blowing the fuses. Upon inspection of the plug, I noticed it's all black. It seems a little fire append in it. Do I need to bring the motor to be serviced? I can cut the tip of the cord and put a new plug but the wires would be exposed when the whole thing should be waterproof, no?

Thxs for your help

Pat

Well, you can get outdoor rated plugs, but the real issue is why did the old one burn up?

Just fixing the plug isn't going to tell you anything.

Last year it stopped working and we noticed the extension cord got fried where it meets the motor's cord. We replaced the fried cord and all was well the rest of the season. Never thought anything might have happen to the motor's plug. I have no clue why that mini fire happened. We use only outdoors extensions.
I don't know what to do at this point.

Pat

The whole cord should be replaced. You will need one rated for 12 amps or more. How far is it from the pump to the electrical outlet? Did you just remove the cover off the back of the pump? The area where the cord comes out should have a black metal or plastic cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump will continue to overheat if you use an extension cord that is not rated for the load of your pump & takes into account the voltage drop . I would suggest you have an electrician install a dedicated weatherproof gfci outlet 6 to 10 feet from your pool near your pump. They should also be able to replace the cord on your pump easily. Please let the melted plug be a warning to you - next time it could be worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.