Can I put my equipment about 18' lower than the surface of the pool?

mkmkmkmk

Dec 31, 2013
Northridge, CA
I have a situation in which the most convenient place for the pool & spa equipment is about 18' lower than the surface of the pool.

We intend to have 12 jets in the spa, shelf bubblers, deck jets/laminars and an infinity edge/spill way on one side of the pool.

Is this possible with Pentair equipment? If so, what would you use? Also, dumb question, what kind of filtration are people using these days in southern california (not near ocean if that matters)

Here is a cross section to visualize it.

89dg pool cross section.png

Priming the pump should not be a problem with the pump below the water. Let’s ask @mas985 what he thinks.

You need to put diverter valves on all the pool lines leading down to the equipment since the pool will drain down if anything is opened for maintenance. I would also put valves on pipes up at the pool level. Eventually the valves at the equipment level will need service and you need a way of stopping the water flow out.

How many gallons will be in the pool?

What size will the pool be?

Priming the pump should not be a problem with the pump below the water. Let’s ask @mas985 what he thinks.

You need to put diverter valves on all the pool lines leading down to the equipment since the pool will drain down if anything is opened for maintenance. I would also put valves on pipes up at the pool level. Eventually the valves at the equipment level will need service and you need a way of stopping the water flow out.

How many gallons will be in the pool?

What size will the pool be?
You can do away with extra valves for the future work by just using winterizing plugs to hold the water back. Don't see that those extra valves are needed. I do it all the time with similar set ups.

Reactions: Newdude
One thing to consider with placing the pump 18 feet below the surface of the pool is that the suction pressure will be about 9 psi (vertical weight of water is 1/2 psi per foot). A positive suction pressure will dramatically increase the discharge pressure. I don't know the type pool, size of piping and total length of piping to estimate your discharge pressure, but this may cause issues with the filter.

Installing below water level is not a problem but I would strongly suggest isolation valves between every pool line and the equipment. Cleaning the pump basket and/or filter is much easier with isolation valves.

Also, a filter does not care about absolute pressure, only relative pressure so the elevation of the equipment has no bearing on the performance of the filter.

I would recommend a cartridge filter for your location given drought conditions plus the city is likely to require separation tanks for the other types of filters for backwash reclamation.

You all are awesome. Thank you. Sounds like I can stop panicking! What equipment would you use if you were in my shoes?
Pentair Intelliflo 011056 or 011073
Pentair CCP 520 cartridge filter
Pentair IntelliCenter bundle with IC60 cell
Pentair MasterTemp gas heater or Ultratemp Heat Pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.