Can I operate my filter even if the screen on the air bleed tub is broken?

mcaffey

Jun 21, 2023
Rocklin, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey folk, new member here. Recently bought a house with a pool and I like to maintain things myself, so I'm learning a bunch of stuff right now.

My question is this. I have a cartridge type filter on my pool. It's the Pentair Clean & Clear filter. Mine is fairly old. Model is CC520P. I sent to clean the filter for the first time myself, and there is this PVC pipe that runs up the middle for air bleed I believe. At the top is a cap that I think is supposed to be a mesh in some way. Well I tried to take it off and clean it but it just crumbled. So It's really old. The PVC pipe is fine, it's the cap on the top that I think is supposed to have a mesh filter is broken.

Looks like ordering one will take a few days. Can I operate the filter without the cap on this until a replacement can be ordered? I think that just exists to prevent the tube from getting clogged. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

m,

I think the screen is just there to keep debris from getting back into the water along with any air.

MY CCP-520's screen never has much on it even after 6 months or more.

I can't see where it would make much of a difference if the screen was there or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey folk, new member here. Recently bought a house with a pool and I like to maintain things myself, so I'm learning a bunch of stuff right now.

My question is this. I have a cartridge type filter on my pool. It's the Pentair Clean & Clear filter. Mine is fairly old. Model is CC520P. I sent to clean the filter for the first time myself, and there is this PVC pipe that runs up the middle for air bleed I believe. At the top is a cap that I think is supposed to be a mesh in some way. Well I tried to take it off and clean it but it just crumbled. So It's really old. The PVC pipe is fine, it's the cap on the top that I think is supposed to have a mesh filter is broken.

Looks like ordering one will take a few days. Can I operate the filter without the cap on this until a replacement can be ordered? I think that just exists to prevent the tube from getting clogged. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
If your water is fairly clean it won't make much difference unless you have a booster-pump type cleaner. Get a bunch of debris on the surface of the water, the skimmer will suck that up, and it is just a rather large hole in the filter that will let debris back into the pool and it will clog the in-wall or in-line screen to the cleaner. Not a major issue if the new screen for the filter will be installed soon.

And this ended up being my solution. I bought some little screen patches - things you'd use for patching a door or window screen - and put two of them over the air bleed pipe. They are adhesive but I also used a tie wrap to secure them. This should suffice till I get the proper replacement part. Thanks for the advice folks. This site is really helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: JamesW and Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.