Can I leave pucks in my in-line chlorinator when it's off?

I have a check valve located before my in-line tab feeder to keep my raised spa from draining into the pool when my pump is not running. I have used it on 3 separate occasions. First, during initial startup before my SWG was installed and operational. I had to call out my PB after 5 days to fix my "leaking" spa. The 2nd time was during last winter when the water got too cold for my SWG to operate. My PB was out within the week rebuilding the spa check valve. The third time i used it was after the large rain storms we had in Houston last summer. I had the tabs lying around, and I needed to replenish some CYA. You can guess what happened next: My PB was out, once again, rebuilding my check valve. That valve has never failed otherwise.

Based on my experience, here is my response to the OP's original question: Don't leave pucks in the li-line chlorinator when it's off. If I can kill check valve seals within just a few days, imagine what might be happening to other parts/components in that severe environment.

I agree that one should not leave tabs in a feeder while the feeder is off, or when the system is off. The tabs continue to dissolve and create a very corrosive mix of low ph, high chlorine liquid and gas that will migrate through the system and begin to destroy everything it touches. Virtually nothing can withstand the high chlorine, low ph mixture.

I would also avoid removing tabs as that presents problems with handling and storage. I think that it's much better to plan ahead so that the tabs are fully consumed by the time you would want the feeder to be empty.

In short, tabs should never sit in still water. And that includes tabs in a skimmer while the system is off (for those who use tabs in a skimmer).

Note: Tabs in a skimmer can be a problem for downstream equipment. Typically, it's better not to use tabs in a skimmer. Systems with heaters should not use tabs in a skimmer. Tabs should not be in a skimmer when the system is off. Also, the number of tabs should be kept to a minimum.

One more advice - when you take the pucks out, store them safely. I left mine on the equipment pad and the dog got a hold of them and moved them to a different part of the yard. He's fine, but I'm glad he didn't chew on them!

I would also avoid removing tabs as that presents problems with handling and storage. I think that it's much better to plan ahead so that the tabs are fully consumed by the time you would want the feeder to be empty.

One more advice - when you take the pucks out, store them safely. I left mine on the equipment pad and the dog got a hold of them and moved them to a different part of the yard. He's fine, but I'm glad he didn't chew on them!

These two quotes are very pertinent! You really should avoid handling or removing wet trichlor tablets. They are a hazard when they become damp because of the combination of chlorine and low pH (tabs are acidic). Wet/damp tablets will continue to emit chlorine gas fumes until they are fully dried. Therefore, when you pull them, you CAN NOT store them in a sealed container or bring them into an enclosed environment or else you will cause a hazardous condition. We have had many posts on TFP of people pulling wet tabs from a floater and storing them in a garage or shed only to walk into the room and find the area overpowered with chlorine vapors.

If you have tabs in the floater or inline chlorinator, leave them be. Pulling them out to save a few $'s is foolish. Sorry to be harsh, but this stuff can become dangerous when proper handling procedures are not followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.