Can I install a larger sand filter with the same pump?

An update.

My pool has a bottom! It really cleared up fast once I got the new filter installed. I've been adding DE after each backwash. Yesterday morning it had been a pretty blue for 2 days but seemed to be at a standstill in its cloudiness and I was getting impatient so I added a dose of clarifier I got from Walmart before I found the site. This morning I could see the bottom, still quite cloudy, but it allowed it to give it a good vacuum and brush for the first time without being blind.

I also got my FAS-DPD test in last night. Results were
FC 16
CC 1

This morning they were
FC 15
CC 1
I also tested my CYA since the water was clear for the first time, and we had added quite a bit of water since I added stabilizer. That came out at 30 ppm so I didn't have to add any chlorine.

Oh and the filthy water in the old filter had settled and allowed us to discover in addition to the down tube being broken, there was also very little sand and broken laterals. Funny how it didn't filter worth a hoot!

Obligatory picture of pool after 4 1/2 days of filtering with new filter

89QFmgx.jpg

Final update

Last night my lil swamp of horrors passed all three steps in order to finish being shocked. I'm so proud! Gotta admit I didn't think it would be possible to go from thick green goo to crystal clear water, but it did. In. One. Week. :shock: not sure what was more shocked, me or the pool :lol:

koFfXyE.jpg

My numbers are
FC 6
CC 0
pH 6.8
CH 90
TA 160

There are a lot of what looks like calcium scale patches, and rust stains on the bottom, and the liner is bleached out, but we think its the original liner and is about 15 years old. Besides since the general plan is that next year we put up the bigger pool, I'm not going to get too involved trying to get rid of the stains. Right now I've dropped the pH and aerating with a fountain to lower TA in advance of adding borates. I might do a ascorbic acid treatment. I nearly bought some today from PS1 when I went there to get the fountain. But they didn't have any, they only had some Vitamin C :roll: . And I couldn't bring myself to give someone that owns a pool store and yet so ignorant of pool chemicals more business than I had to. That and i only had enough cash on me for the fountain and she doesn't want to take my debit card. The owner is really a dimwit. Since the low pH may also help soften the calcium stains that's about all I may do.

I just got to get my other steps power washed and installed, then once I get my borates in, it's swimming time :party:

Good job! Cleared it in a week and kept your sense of humor. :cheers: Only suggestion I have is to avoid having the pH drop below 7. Since you are aerating, the pH may have already moved above 7 by the time you read this.

Looks like you are about ready to swim! :swim:

Thought I'd post a quick update about the stain. I'd assumed it was calcium staining. But I got in the pool with some vitamin c crushed up in a skimmer sock to see if it would shift some of the obvious rust stains. While I was there I tried rubbing the brown scale and lo and behold they disappeared immediately. So that's what they were. I decided not to bother dropping $100 on chemicals to treat them as this pool will be replaced next year anyway. But I thought I'd let anyone following know as it may help someone. The other stains wouldn't shift but they feel like someone dropped a hairpin years ago and it's rusted itself to the liner. Again I'm not worried. The pool is on borrowed time anyway.
However I gotta say I've never seen a clearer pool in my life. Just what I need with the stains lol. I took a few days to perfect the chemistry and added borates a couple of days ago. I think I have sparklypoolitis. The water just has jewels dancing all over it. It's incredible. I'd post a photo it I've been too busy swimming in it. Sorry!! Oh and I vacuumed it exactly 3 times once it was clear and realized that a) it's so clear you can see every speck of dirt and b) I love it so clean I can't stand it so rather than vacuum every day it now has the company of a Hayward aqua critter. Mainly because that's what I could get at my local Leslie's and I was so done with manual vacuuming I wasn't even waiting for amazon delivery. If I remember I'll try and edit in a pic of my very sparkly swamp in tomorrow. And I really ought to update my avatar. Froggy is much happier in his crystal clear pool.

Edited to add

Mrhyng7.jpg

Ok, I think this forum has made me crazy. Well at least about my pool, because that 'clear' picture I posted didn't look quite clear enough :hammer:

So that night I went out and peered at my water with a flashlight, my husband thought I was completely mad! I could see a few very tiny something's reflecting in the beam of light. So I double checked my CYA and it was low and i figured my chlorine was burning off too fast in the sun, so I added some and shocked the pool for 24 hours. The next night, not a thing in the flashlight beam all the way to the bottom, because darn it I want to see my cruddy liner perfectly clearly thank you :whoot:

Anyway, a much better picture from today

zTNHsb1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.