Can I fill the pool by adding water to return lines?

Evo-L

May 18, 2020
Florida
Hello TFP,

I am trying to find a way to add a manual water filler to my pool, without dragging the hose out.

I am thinking of running a water line from my homes plumbing, into one of my pools return lines at the equipment. I have 2” piping.

Would this work? I am thinking I would Tee into one of the 2” return pipes, after all of the equipment and valves, and have a 3/4” pvc pipe delivering water. It seems my pool system runs at about 5-10psi and my homes water runs at about 45psi, so the water would make it into the system. That type of pressure could be an issue but I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

The pool builder was supposed to add a dedicated pvc line for a filler, but never did.

Thank you

I don't believe a vacuum breaker would be acceptable to use as a backflow preventer on the return side. Also you're likely to loose the prime if a vacuum breaker is used when the pump is off unless there is a manual shut off valve between the BFP and the pool lines. A double check valve backflow preventer would be a better option. You should also check your local building code.

A vacuum breaker could be used on the suction side and it also needs to be highest point of the system.

I have something like you’re talking about. I have a PVC line running from a hose bib through a sprinkler valve, then a check valve and then into the return side. I use a sprinkler controller to put some water each day.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Evo-L
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.