Can blown Paramount 6 port module cause my pump to pull air?

johnjmattingly

Apr 2, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I checked on my pool today and I noticed that at low pump RPM (my baseline flow) there was a lot of air in my pump basket and the water level in my Paramount Equipment Debris Canister was very low. It was as if I had a serious air leak somewhere. Upon further investigation, I noticed that my PV3 heads were no longer cycling. After some googling and adjusting flow higher and lower, I determined that the PV3 pool heads weren't stuck and that it appears I have a busted Paramount 6 port module. Looking back, I think the module has been busted for a little while. During our last freeze or just after, I noticed a significant drop in flow rate at my typical RPMs. I checked in on the pool at the time, but the water level in the pump basket and EDC was not an issue and I couldn't determine any other cause. I thought perhaps it was the new brand of DE I was using or that I had perhaps incorrectly measured the amount of DE I put back into the filter after a recent filter clean. Or maybe I had blown a filter panel. I wasn't ready to open the pool yet, so I just let it go.

So.... Can a blown 6 port module cause my pump to pull air over an extended period of time? I assume it's possible, as the break could have compromised the gasket or any number of things. I plan to pull everything apart tomorrow to inspect (my seals all change when it goes from cold to warm weather, too), but wanted to see if folks had any experience with blown 6 port modules and how they might affect water flow, etc. Thanks!

I checked on my pool today and I noticed that at low pump RPM (my baseline flow) there was a lot of air in my pump basket and the water level in my Paramount Equipment Debris Canister was very low. It was as if I had a serious air leak somewhere. Upon further investigation, I noticed that my PV3 heads were no longer cycling. After some googling and adjusting flow higher and lower, I determined that the PV3 pool heads weren't stuck and that it appears I have a busted Paramount 6 port module. Looking back, I think the module has been busted for a little while. During our last freeze or just after, I noticed a significant drop in flow rate at my typical RPMs. I checked in on the pool at the time, but the water level in the pump basket and EDC was not an issue and I couldn't determine any other cause. I thought perhaps it was the new brand of DE I was using or that I had perhaps incorrectly measured the amount of DE I put back into the filter after a recent filter clean. Or maybe I had blown a filter panel. I wasn't ready to open the pool yet, so I just let it go.

So.... Can a blown 6 port module cause my pump to pull air over an extended period of time? I assume it's possible, as the break could have compromised the gasket or any number of things. I plan to pull everything apart tomorrow to inspect (my seals all change when it goes from cold to warm weather, too), but wanted to see if folks had any experience with blown 6 port modules and how they might affect water flow, etc. Thanks!
The distribution valve is on the pressure side of the system, it can't be the source of air being pulled in. It is possible that the valve is stuck in between positions not allowing full flow and preventing the pump from clearing all the air that normally gets into most systems.

I'm doing some maintenance on my pool, specifically the Paramount PV3 system. I've determined that my 6 port module is still operating correctly. My nozzles cycle correctly now (appears to have been a pressure issue). Now, however, some of my pop up nozzles no longer rotate. They pop all the way up and retract all the way down during a cycle. I've also popped 2 of the non-rotating nozzles out, rinsed them off, made sure they were moving ok, and re-installed them. But, the nozzles still do not rotate. I've looked at the Paramount support FAQ and it appears I've done what they suggest. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot these nozzles when they don't rotate?

Thanks!

Sorry, just got back to town today after being on vacation and disconnected for two weeks.

The nozzles can wear out over time and will no longer rotate correctly.
After you cleaned the nozzles, did they rotate when popped up manually?
How old are the popups and are you the original owner?