Can Anyone Recommend a CircuPool CORE-55? If So Why?!

aeopav

Apr 16, 2008
Texas
I'm debating the replacement of yet another Hayward T-Cell-15 and associated PCB-RITE board. I get that the cells are a life limited part that is going to need replacement over time. On the other hand, I'm really tired of replacing the PCB's as well. I've rebuilt the boards myself, had a service that offered rebuilt boards w/core charge send me one, and bought aftermarket (reverse engineered Chinese knock-off?) boards. They all suffer from excessive heat and have burned up. The Molex connector from the cell to PCB, I believe (personal opinion) is completely inadequate for the for the current being handled. So, I guess I have a few questions for the group:

1. Is the current version of a Hayward factory PCB-RITE board any better a design than what I have now? Is the thermistor and overheating problem still there on said board?
2. Does anyone have a couple of years, lets say 2 years minimum, running a CircuPool CORE-55? Can you recomment it? Anyone know if there are issues with these units burning up or very poor cell life performance?
3. Anybody want to add what they would recommend besides the two units I have mentioned? I'm not interested in absolute most bang for the buck! I'm just trying to be smart about what it is costing me vs ease of maintaining. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a unit that goes in, runs reliably for years and only needs cell replacemant when the plates are depleted.

PS : # TFP = Best Pool Forum People ON THE PLANET!

TIA,
Mark

I had to replace my aquarite PCB once, but that was because mine was too old for the newer cells. I replace the current limiter at least once every 2 years, but the board continues to work (I buy multiples of the limiter to have them on hand). I did replace my Hayward cell with the CircuPool cell (the upgraded one) and it definitely puts out significantly more chlorine than the Hayward. I know this doesn’t answer your questions directly, but just giving my experience.

My neighbor did put in a CircuPool system, not sure which one bit it had a separate controller and cell. Built like a tank, the entire back of the controller unit was a huge aluminum heat sink. He got a great deal, I think he got the 55k version for the price of the 40k with an online special. We had it installed and running in about an hour or so. I would strongly consider the CircuPool offerings if I did a complete Aquarite replacement.

Thanks for the information. One of the things I think I would like to try is oversizing the chlorine generating capability and running the chlorinator at a lesser cycle and see what kind of extended cell life I cound get, if any.

One of the things I think I would like to try is oversizing the chlorine generating capability and running the chlorinator at a lesser cycle and see what kind of extended cell life I cound get, if any.
The Core only has four power settings, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%, so you are going to have to adjust both run time and power level to dial it in. That would be a deal breaker for me.

I've just now seen, by viewing the online owners manual for the CircuPool CORE-55, the limitation on power settings. Probably a deal breaker for me as well. Maybe something else from them like the RJ-60 PLUS.

Thanks for the replies guys! Can you tell me what type connector is used for the salt cell to control box connection. My personal opinion is that the Molex connection on the original design by Hayward is completely inadequate for the amount of power being handled.

Not sure I can help you there, I took a different approach...used my VSP scheduling to drive the SWCG.

Thanks for the replies guys! Can you tell me what type connector is used for the salt cell to control box connection. My personal opinion is that the Molex connection on the original design by Hayward is completely inadequate for the amount of power being handled.
It’s a 4 or 5 pin round connector; push in, screw tight. No issues with mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.