Can anyone pinpoint what is causing this noise?

Daveacksh

Aug 11, 2022
Montreal
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I've attached a link to a Youtube video. The first 10 seconds is what I consider my pump sounding relatively normal (even though there is a bit of a high pitched noise). The second 10 seconds is where it is sounding extra annoying.

It is only my second season using this pump. Here is a link to the pump: Power Flow Pump

Single speed, constantly running 24/7. Had no issues until recently when I started noticing a high pitched frequency.

It doesn't make the noise when the pump is priming, only when full of water, and not all the time. It is intermittent, but it is really starting to bother me.

Because of the piping, I can't lift the pump to put any kind of dampening material underneath it, although I don't think that would help.

It is no longer under warranty so I'd have to disconnect it and bring it to the shop to get it checked out.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

When I purchased a brand new Intelliflo VSP a little over half a year ago, it was making a similar whining sound at lower RPMs (I’m sure it was there at higher RPMs but the other noises overshadowed the whine. It was not the exact same sound as yours, it was a little worse. It was also intermittent just like yours. And it was a concern but it eventually completely stopped and has been working perfectly ever since. I was told it was some sort of bearing so I have no idea how or why it stopped on its own in about a month. Here’s a video of what my pump sounded like.

Reactions: Texas Splash
A high pitch whine is usually the bearings although as mentioned above the seal might cause that type of noise. Anything stuck in the impeller or centrifugal switch is usually a lower frequency sound. There really is not much else that can produce that type of sound.

That doesn't appear to be the original motor on that pump. Is the entire pump two years old or just the motor?

Was the motor a rebuilt motor?

When the motor was replaced, was a new seal installed?

Do you see any water near the bottom of the pump?

Reactions: Texas Splash
A high pitch whine is usually the bearings although as mentioned above the seal might cause that type of noise. Anything stuck in the impeller or centrifugal switch is usually a lower frequency sound. There really is not much else that can produce that type of sound.

That doesn't appear to be the original motor on that pump. Is the entire pump two years old or just the motor?

Was the motor a rebuilt motor?

When the motor was replaced, was a new seal installed?

Do you see any water near the bottom of the pump?
It is the pump that came with my pool. As far as I know it was new. I found the company who makes it in China so I think my pool store buys from them. LX Swimming Pool Pump 56SWP

There is no leak. The first time it was making that noise, I cleaned around the lid O-ring. There was a blade of grass there. I thought that was the cause but it is still happening sometimes. I have cleaned the O-ring and put some lubricant (Hayward Jack's Lube). It still makes the noise sometimes.

When I purchased a brand new Intelliflo VSP a little over half a year ago, it was making a similar whining sound at lower RPMs (I’m sure it was there at higher RPMs but the other noises overshadowed the whine. It was not the exact same sound as yours, it was a little worse. It was also intermittent just like yours. And it was a concern but it eventually completely stopped and has been working perfectly ever since. I was told it was some sort of bearing so I have no idea how or why it stopped on its own in about a month. Here’s a video of what my pump sounded like.
I'm hoping it is a transient issue. I'm not keen on disconnecting my pump for a week while it is repaired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.