Can a way oversized SWG still make sense from a financial perspective?

padrick

Oct 5, 2022
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone, I'm looking at converting my ~15k usgal pool to salt water. I'm looking at the Circupool systems and trying to make my mind up. Here's my options:

RJ-30+: $1249 w/ max output of 1.5lb/day ($832/lb/day)
RJ-45+: $1449 w/ max output of 2lb/day ($724/lb/day)
RJ-60+: $1599 w/ max output of 3.1lb/day ($515/lb/day)
EDGE-25: $1049 w/ max output of 1.2lb/day ($874/lb/day)
EDGE-40: $1229 w/ max output of 1.7lb/day ($722/lb/day)

I believe any of these units will probably be able to keep up, but my question is whether the $/lb/day calculation that I've added above is actually a relevant thing to compare. I see that the RJ+ series is rated for 15k hours (at full capacity?). The EDGE series does not show a total hour rating (at least that I could find).

Assuming all else is equal and only considering the longevity of the cells vs the upfront cost, does it make sense to go with the RJ-60+ over the others? Say I'm using it to generate .75lb/day of Cl. Would that generation rate then theoretically increase the operating life (15000 rated hours) by a factor of 4 (3.1/.75 = 4.133). Obviously there's probably some other factors that go into that rating, but most of it should be directly affiliated with Cl generation, right?

tl;dr: which of the units listed above is the best value for a 15k gal pool?

Thanks for reading!

Get the RJ60+.

You are paying an incremental $350 ($1599 - 1249) for your first replacement cell. [The 60 outputs 2x what the 30 puts out].

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. However, if I'm comparing simply the price differences between say an RJ-30+ cell ($614 retail) vs an RJ-60+ cell ($794 retail), the difference is only $180. I still think it's probably worth it just to go ahead and buy the complete RJ-60+ system, however an alternative may be to buy the RJ-30+ complete system now, then when it's time to replace the cell in a couple years or so, replace it with an RJ-60+ seeing as the controllers are identical and can handle any of the cell sizes.

Reactions: PoolStored
So, let's assume 4 yrs for a RJ-30, and 8 yrs for an RJ-60

A 60+60 replacement = 1,699+794 = $155/yr, over 16 yrs.
A 30+60 replacement = 1399+794 = $183/yr over 12 yrs.

You save $300 up front, but spend it over the future years.
Of course, all of this is moot if the above relative life spans are way off, they discontinue models, prices go up, etc., etc.
I thought about getting a replacement cell now, when mine is pretty much brand new, to hedge against future pricing. But with my luck, when it is time, something else will render it unusable (busted control box, we move, we fill in the pool, or....)

You have a long and hot season. You will go through more hours than me in NY. I would have gone 3X in a heartbeat, or 4x by you.

For reference,
I have a IC40 and 10k pool in Houston and at the peak was running 30% @24/7 pump time even with high CyA. You won’t regret a larger cell …. For flexibility, for dealing with the longer seasons, for the intense summers or for the lifespan. Even more so if you don’t have a VSP.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.