Can 4 acid washes make the surface porous enough to promote black algae

JeanneEisen

Bronze Supporter
Sep 25, 2022
Florida
Some of you may have followed my saga,.Jan 9, 2023 we began our re-marciting process, they finally finished in early April. Had terrible trouble with white splotching and streaking on a medium color pebble finish. After 9 months of back and forth and 4 acid washes the surface color looked better but they also had to diamond grind the sitting surfaces because the pebbles were so rough. After 5-6 weeks after the 3 acid wash and grinding we saw the first of black spots on the surface. The splotches and streaks returned and the PC came back out and tested the water out of the spigot and said our PH was very high (this is after 3 drains and acid washes and refills) so he said they would drain and acid wash and get rid of the black spots and treat the water differently knowing the PH from spigot was high. Nov. 28 they drain, acid wash and they added acid and other chemicals to the pool as it was filling. On Dec. 11 the pool was looking pretty good and per my email to the PC. Within a week after the black spot came back bigger and far more prevalent. I am of the belief that so many acid washings had caused a deterioration of the finish that now it is susceptible to black algae. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_7679.jpeg
    IMG_7679.jpeg
    785.2 KB · Views: 25
Some of you may have followed my saga,.Jan 9, 2023 we began our re-marciting process, they finally finished in early April. Had terrible trouble with white splotching and streaking on a medium color pebble finish. After 9 months of back and forth and 4 acid washes the surface color looked better but they also had to diamond grind the sitting surfaces because the pebbles were so rough. After 5-6 weeks after the 3 acid wash and grinding we saw the first of black spots on the surface. The splotches and streaks returned and the PC came back out and tested the water out of the spigot and said our PH was very high (this is after 3 drains and acid washes and refills) so he said they would drain and acid wash and get rid of the black spots and treat the water differently knowing the PH from spigot was high. Nov. 28 they drain, acid wash and they added acid and other chemicals to the pool as it was filling. On Dec. 11 the pool was looking pretty good and per my email to the PC. Within a week after the black spot came back bigger and far more prevalent. I am of the belief that so many acid washings had caused a deterioration of the finish that now it is susceptible to black algae. Am I wrong?
Rough plaster doesn’t cause algae but inadequately chlorinated water does. Can you post some test results? Your poolmath log is pretty empty.

Not seeing it look like cooper - more like black mold based on internet pics
Do you have one of the two test kits TFP requires for testing your own water? The pool store testing isn’t very accurate.
Yes we also test daily with the Taylor K-2005 and it is aligned with Pinch-A-Penny

Attachments

• DSCF0015.jpeg
    DSCF0015.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0024.jpeg
    DSCF0024.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0027.jpeg
    DSCF0027.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0028.jpeg
    DSCF0028.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0030.jpeg
    DSCF0030.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 8
How old is your Taylor K-2005 test kit and its reagents?

If the reagents aren't close to expiring, you need to add the Taylor K-1515 test kit.
This includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which is necessary to get accurate FC andCC test results.

If the reagents are close to expiry, consider getting a K-2006 refill kit from TFTestkits - or a totally new TF-Pro testkit.

Also, use PoolMath to enter all your test results. Enter ONLY the ones you do yourself, NOT pool store results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.