Calling all you experts... FC good, No CC, but cloudy/murky water... Please help

6.25.15 1530 FC 11 -(added 19 oz 12.5% Chlor)

My only worry is that my CYA is higher than I have tested it at, twice. I know I need to be patient, but it was the following paragraph at the SLAM page (http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl) that got me concerned:

While SLAMing, the appearance of the water should improve each day, though perhaps only by a little. If you fail to see any improvement you might have a problem with your filter, or have a higher CYA level than you think, or bad circulation, or have some other more complex problem.

Also read "Depending on what kind of filter you have, it can take the filter a week or more to completely clear up the water, even after all of the algae is dead."

This got me thinking, wouldn't my water clear up faster if I ran my VSP at a higher RPM, which would result in more GPM filtration?

Last edited:
Yes, generally a faster flow rate for a faster turnver will clear a pool faster. Don't go so fast as to damage your filter, but if you stay within your filters limits you should be OK.

The comment about filters taking a week or more is mostly about sand filters. Cartridge filters filter more finely so faster and DE filters filter the fastest. This is why we often suggest adding DE to a sand filter if one needs finer faster filtration of smaller particles.

6.26.15 1045 FC 11, CC 0.5 -(19 oz Chlor)
1330 FC 10.5, CC 0 -(29 oz Chlor)

Water is looking better. While the algae may be dead right now, I'll continue this for another day or so and then perform the OCLT.

FWIW, I ordered the Speedstir to see if that'll help and provide more accurate/reliable results, especially with my CH testing.

After all is said and done, I will probably raise my CYA to 40 as I want to prevent it from dropping to 20, as a level of 20 is not recommended (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart). If and when I do raise it, I assume I should start treating my pool from the moment I add it as though it has a level of 40 to avoid any shortfall of chlorine and getting any problems.

Got the Speedstir. Definitely dig it.

Last evening, I put the solar cover back on.

Water is clear. Latest testing:

6.29.15 2245 FC 12.5
6.30.15 0500 FC 11.5, CC 0

The OCLT is 1, CC 0, & water is clear. Thus, I meet all criteria to stop SLAMming, but should I keep going until the OCLT is 0 or 0.5? I ask b/c I wonder if I should do this for safety sake. If u look back through this thread, before I started SLAMming, you will see my OCLT was 0 once, and 0.5 when I repeated it. I just don't want to have stopped to soon.

Congrats on passing the SLAM. :goodjob: Sure, if you wish to keep your FC at SLAM for one more day, it won't hurt anything. Many people let it ride a little longer just to be safe, especially after a long battle. Understand that while a CC of zero is ideal, sometimes it does fluctuate a bit which is why the .5 rule. It's good you are so vigilant. Nice work.

Taking your advice Texas Splash and letting it go a couple of more days. Water is crazy clear. Love it. I will post some pics of my water now vs. before.

Thanks for everyone's help!!! I will definitely be even more vigilant regarding the adding of chlorine and testing of it. Don't want to lose anymore precious summer swim days :) I wil be adding chlor daily and either testing it daily or every other day. If every other day, I will simply add on the non-test day what I added the day previously.

Forgot about getting some pics up. Here are the before pics. Will get to the now pics, but whatever the case it is crystal clear. I can make out the screws on the main drain cover.

6.22.15 1900
View attachment 40208

6.22.15 1900 - Where's the main drain? This is looking at it.
View attachment 40209

It's nice having it back to crystal clear. All in all lost about one week of swim time d/t the SLAM. Kept the filter going 24 h during it, and then cleaned the filters after. Tx again!.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.