DougCFL

Jul 12, 2023
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone. I've read most of the post regarding the subject pumps and called Pool Supply Unlimited and emailed Calimar. No answer yet. I have a shared body pool/spa. I am looking to buy the Calimar 3HP variable speed pump and the add-on automation controller. I want to set the pump schedule to run my pool using speeds 1 and 2, then use a relay (in my DIY pool automation system) to run speed 3 when I want my SPA active. If the schedule in the pump has the speed 3 duration set to 0 minutes, what happens when I engage a relay (close the relay) on the pump controller terminal 3 to the provided 5V terminal? I expect the pump will run speed 3 until the relay is opened. But that's not what's implied in the pump instructions nor the automation controller instructions. They imply the pump will run speed 3 for the duration set in the pump schedule (which will be 0 minutes for me). Can someone verify that engaging terminal 3 with a relay will in fact run speed 3 while the relay is closed, even if the pump has that speed schedule duration set to 0 minutes?
Thanks!

Just found another post that helped. I may need to run the pump in manual mode, setup a schedule in my nodejs controller system, and burn 3 relays to control the pump (prime, pool, SPA). Maybe I can use the same speed to prime as I use for the SPA, so prime/SPA, pool clean, pool recirc. I think I can make it work, just not exactly the way I wanted. My preference is to use the schedule in the pump, then override that schedule when I want to run SPA mode. I'll use a single relay and if my DIY automation schedule has any hiccups, my pool still works just fine.

@hexabc should be able to help as well. Check out his post in the meantime:

Reactions: Newdude
The automation options on the panel are....weird...

In Manual Mode, the 1/2/3 relays set the speeds defined by buttons 1/2/3. Relay 4 seems to disable Manual mode and revert to the programmed Schedule.
In Schedule Mode, the 1/2/3 relays set the speeds defined by the buttons 1/2/3 again, but 4 seems to force quick-clean, but its not clear if IN1 has to be closed TOO.
Why they didn't just have 5 inputs for Speeds 1/2/3/4 + Quick Clean seems...weird.

My panel has three extra inputs on it too - not referenced in the document that came with the panel anywhere I can see.

I haven't tried with a duration of 0 minutes, but I expect you should be able to simply close IN3, and it will go to speed 3 until you open it again.
I'll try to take a look later today.

EDIT : BTW, it does weird things if you don't set the time on the panel before you use the automation inputs, even though you're ignoring the built in schedule - again, I'll try to report back a bit later.

Reactions: Newdude
The automation options on the panel are....weird...

In Manual Mode, the 1/2/3 relays set the speeds defined by buttons 1/2/3. Relay 4 seems to disable Manual mode and revert to the programmed Schedule.
In Schedule Mode, the 1/2/3 relays set the speeds defined by the buttons 1/2/3 again, but 4 seems to force quick-clean, but its not clear if IN1 has to be closed TOO.
Why they didn't just have 5 inputs for Speeds 1/2/3/4 + Quick Clean seems...weird.

My panel has three extra inputs on it too - not referenced in the document that came with the panel anywhere I can see.

I haven't tried with a duration of 0 minutes, but I expect you should be able to simply close IN3, and it will go to speed 3 until you open it again.
I'll try to take a look later today.

EDIT : BTW, it does weird things if you don't set the time on the panel before you use the automation inputs, even though you're ignoring the built in schedule - again, I'll try to report back a bit later.
Thanks for the reply. This is helpful and confirms the equipment will work in my system.

Thanks for the reply. This is helpful and confirms the equipment will work in my system.
Well, mine isn't working the way this seems to say it will work, but thats how it is supposed to work.
I suspect my issue is user-induced tho ;)

Ok, based on some quick testing :
With Schedule or Manual mode Enabled - pulling IN1/2/3 to 5V results in that speed being selected. It looks like 1 minute of duration is required however, as 0 duration set wouldn't allow it to come via the relay. Once triggered tho, it stayed on as long as the relay was closed.

IN1 overrides IN2 which overrides IN3.
In Schedule Mode, all of these also override IN4 (in schedule mode) which enables Quick clean.
However, if all are off, and IN4 is energized, Quick Clean is enabled (defaults to 3450 RPM)
In Manual Mode, it is supposed to enable the schedule, but doesn't seem to do anything at all best I could see.

The best part is, they include a 4 conductor cable....and you kinda need 5 ;)

Below is a 'truth table' for Schedule Mode ( ? = doesn't matter)

1689192938400.png

Ok, based on some quick testing :
With Schedule or Manual mode Enabled - pulling IN1/2/3 to 5V results in that speed being selected. It looks like 1 minute of duration is required however, as 0 duration set wouldn't allow it to come via the relay. Once triggered tho, it stayed on as long as the relay was closed.

IN1 overrides IN2 which overrides IN3.
In Schedule Mode, all of these also override IN4 (in schedule mode) which enables Quick clean.
However, if all are off, and IN4 is energized, Quick Clean is enabled (defaults to 3450 RPM)
In Manual Mode, it is supposed to enable the schedule, but doesn't seem to do anything at all best I could see.

The best part is, they include a 4 conductor cable....and you kinda need 5 ;)

Below is a 'truth table' for Schedule Mode ( ? = doesn't matter)

View attachment 513005
Very helpful. Thank you. I'll post an update after I get everything installed/configured.

Reactions: SJPoe
Just found another post that helped. I may need to run the pump in manual mode, setup a schedule in my nodejs controller system, and burn 3 relays to control the pump (prime, pool, SPA). Maybe I can use the same speed to prime as I use for the SPA, so prime/SPA, pool clean, pool recirc. I think I can make it work, just not exactly the way I wanted. My preference is to use the schedule in the pump, then override that schedule when I want to run SPA mode. I'll use a single relay and if my DIY automation schedule has any hiccups, my pool still works just fine.
Hi Doug - It sounds like you figured it out. I have the B&D pump. Although I use a 4-relay controller from Sonoff to schedule the speed associated with each relay, you still have to program the pump controller to assign the speed to each relay. If the Sonoff fails, I just switch from “Manual” to “Programmed” until the relay is fixed or repaired. Good luck and let us know how your project turns out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just posted in another Black+Decker/Calimar/Circupool/Blue Torrent thread (Black & Decker (Blue Torrent) Pump Automation) and I don't want to do a full cross-post/repost (I hope a minor repeat isn't considered too rude around these parts), but for those that have the "automation interface kit/board", does it always run at max RPMs for 5 minutes when it first starts running no matter what speed it's supposed to run at? Is there any way around that or to configure the priming time/speed?

Yes. Mine was disabled by default, but the speed and duration of the 'prime' can be configured

View attachment 513757

@SJPoe Wow! You are my hero!! I just double checked and Section 4.3 in the Black+Decker BDXBTVAR150 manual is about priming but it doesn't say anything about the 6 seconds on Display and the other text. Which model or document did you find that in? Again, thank you so much! TFP is such an amazing resource... I'm so glad to be a part of it! I need to run out for a about an hour but I'll double check everything when I get back (but based on a quick test the 6 second trick is working!). Thanks again.

@SJPoe I did some additional research and it looks like there are a few versions of the B+D manual in circulation. I had been working off the one they have a link to on the Pool Parts To Go website (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0279/4936/7429/files/BD_ig_manual0126-DP_Engl_Span_Fren.pdf) and it is missing the detailed text you show in Section 4.3 on the Priming Speed & Time. It is also entirely missing Section 4.7 on the Freeze Protection. Fortunately, the one they link to on the B+D/Blue Torrent/etc TFP Wiki page DOES show these two sections! (And it looks like your screenshot came from there.) The crazy thing is that if I Google for the text that's missing I find zero useful hits! At least that explains why all my research had turned up nothing. In any event, thank you so much for the great help!

Reactions: SJPoe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.