Bronze Supporter
May 24, 2016
Owensboro, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am getting ready to order a Calimar 3hp VS Pump. In the description it states: Port Size 2" x 2". However my plumbing is all 1 1/2". Can I still use this pump? Is there an adapter I can order to make this work? Sorry if this is a stupid question - my husband is our of town and I'm trying to get this ordered so it will be here when he gets home and can install it.

I am getting ready to order a Calimar 3hp VS Pump. In the description it states: Port Size 2" x 2". However my plumbing is all 1 1/2". Can I still use this pump? Is there an adapter I can order to make this work? Sorry if this is a stupid question - my husband is our of town and I'm trying to get this ordered so it will be here when he gets home and can install it.
Yes, you can either use a 2" x 1 1/2" reducing bushing or a 2" x 1 1/2" reducing coupling. Both are common and easy to find at your local big box hardware store. I don't know where you're planning to order the pump from but I read on another thread that there is a long wait on these from the major online retailers.

Yes, you can either use a 2" x 1 1/2" reducing bushing or a 2" x 1 1/2" reducing coupling. Both are common and easy to find at your local big box hardware store. I don't know where you're planning to order the pump from but I read on another thread that there is a long wait on these from the major online retailers.
Thanks for letting me know about the fittings. I thought there was a way but wanted to make certain before I ordered the pump. I placed an order thru Pool Supply Unlimited that went through - so I guess (hope) they have them in stock.
UPDATE: Ha Ha! Just checked my email and it is on backorder. Guess I'll call them tomorrow to try to find out how long it will be.

Thanks for letting me know about the fittings. I thought there was a way but wanted to make certain before I ordered the pump. I placed an order thru Pool Supply Unlimited that went through - so I guess (hope) they have them in stock.
UPDATE: Ha Ha! Just checked my email and it is on backorder. Guess I'll call them tomorrow to try to find out how long it will be.
Just curious. What did they quote for the backorder?

I have been looking into this pump as well and found this thread. FWIW this was the response I received from Pool Supply Unlimited: "It is in transit and orders should be getting shipped out in the next 10days". I am on the fence about buying a cheap pump, but given how significant the savings is... its worth the risk. The day it dies I will just suck it up and pay for higher quality... unless it lives for a long time, then I will just repeat!

Reactions: Newdude
The day it dies I will just suck it up and pay for higher quality... unless it lives for a long time, then I will just repeat!
That's where I'm at. At the current prices, I'd rather buy 3 cheapo pumps in the same timeframe as one flagship model and give them the one finger salute as I spend my money elsewhere.

Statistically speaking, the 1st pump would go the distance and I'd happily replace it with its new model.

If I needed 2, I won. If I needed the 3, then I won out of spite. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same problem last week. They've been on back order quite a while and no eta can be confirmed. Don't know if this is important to you but the 3 lower priced pumps will all interface with automation using an interface like the one below. Blue Torrent and Calimar do with an 80$ add-on but Blue Torrent didn't have the large pump. Black and Decker appears to be available and works with the automation adapter. It's also considerably cheaper. Important thing to remember is the automation adapter provides digital inputs not RS485. For my case I was looking for a 1.5 hp pump that's not much cheaper than a major brand so I went with a Pentair VS pump.

I hope this helps.

Chris

1714763873101.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I had the same problem last week. They've been on back order quite a while and no eta can be confirmed. Don't know if this is important too you but the 3 lower priced pumps will all interface with automation using an interface like the one below. Blue Torrent and Calimar do with an 80$ add-on but Blue Torrent didn't have the large pump. Black and Decker appears to be available and works with the automation adapter. It's also considerably cheaper. Important thing to remember is the automation adapter provides digital inputs not RS485. For my case I was looking for a 1.5 hp pump that's not much cheaper than a major brand so I went with a Pentair VS pump.

I hope this helps.

Chris

View attachment 569869

Here's the same adapter at a better price. $80 worth of fun for $35...

Reactions: Newdude