Calculating hours to run for GPM

40sumthinkid

Jun 22, 2022
Fresno
I have a 15k in ground pool w/ DE filter (36 sq ft). Pool equipment is ground level. My pool pump is .75 HP. I've been running it for 10 hours a day (i was told it was a 22k pool, recently emptied, cleaned, refilled). Balancing chemicals proved correct to 15k requirements.

I am seeing this pump shows 65 GPM, which water turnover would be 4 hours (maybe 5 due to head/DE filter). Am i overusing the pump?

So it turns out that there's no actual need for a daily "turn over" of the water in your pool. The real daily requirement is for your pump to run fast enough and long enough to keep the surface skimmed, to distribute chemicals, to make chlorine if you have an automatic chlorinator, and to run a water-powered cleaner if you have one -- and that's all.

If you pay for electricity and currently have a single-speed pump, you will save a TON of money by switching to a variable speed pump and running it at the minimum necessary speed. I'm in California paying PG&E for my electricity, and it only costs me around a dollar per day to run my variable-speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.