Calcium precipitates - What now?

hkeene

Mar 9, 2023
Dallas, TX
Hi All! I have a small (6500 gallon) salt water pool in Dallas TX. This is my first pool and it was installed by the prior owners of the house. When we moved in I kept the pool maintenance company out of fear, superstition, and ignorance. Earlier this year I decided to start double checking the pool companies work and what I found caused me to fire them. My SWG had been disconnected and had clearly not been functioning for a long time. The chemistry is all off. Salt was super low, so I got that to the right level. FC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA are all off the charts. Here are my numbers from last measurement:
FC = 18, pH = 8.2, TA = 130, CH = 525, CYA = 90.
I've reconnected my SWG and starting using it for chlorine production. But I still have very high pH even after treatments with muratic acid. I also have a growing calcium precipitate problem. There are drifts of calcium dust at different spots in the pool.
On the positive side I don't have any algae growth even with the excessive air and water temps here in Dallas.
I suspect that several of the issues are caused by the pump running an excessive amount. It currently runs 3 hours in the morning and 6 hours at night.
So what now? Do I cut the pump time way down and risk algae growth? Slowly step it down? Can my calcium problems be related to high pH and water temp only or am I going to need to do water replacement? Any advice for a newb?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'll place a couple links below for you to review, but basically pump run time is very flexible. It doesn't sound like it's a contributing factor in any of your issues. It would be good to know more about your equipment though, so be sure to update your signature. See mine as an example.

Be sure to use enough acid to lower the pH to about 7.0-7.2. Each time you do that it should help lower the TA. Try to get the TA down to about 60--70.

If you have any questions about the links provided below, please let us know. Have a great weekend. :swim:

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.