In The Industry
Jan 30, 2014
Perth, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I was wondering if someone could comment on:

- is there any issue with using calcium hypochlorite on a daily basis as a pool sanitizer?

- and if it is ok, has there been any attempts to build an automated doser for calcium hypochlorite?

Thanks!!!

You can certainly use cal hypo on a daily basis. Many large commercial pools do. They also backwash / exchange large volumes of water very often that keep the calcium level down.
What level is the CH of your pool water and your fill water? How often are you willing to drain and replace the pool water?

Your signature shows a SWCG. Why not use that? It is the most efficient, easy, economic way to chlorinate a pool.

What level is the CH of your pool water and your fill water? How often are you willing to drain and replace the pool water?

I'll admit that I have never paid much attention to CH. I have had issues testing CH with my Taylor kit with the first step always come with very faint pinkish color. I checked this with Taylor and was told it was probably due to metal interferences (could be because we use main water copper pipes in Aus). Pool shop tests have always shown low CH values at around 150. I'll add to that there no calcium stains in the pool.

So I am assuming then that the problem with using calcium hypo (or any other calcium product) would be calcium buildup? :confused: arrr I didn't think about that.

Your signature shows a SWCG. Why not use that? It is the most efficient, easy, economic way to chlorinate a pool.

After about 7 years the SWCG main unit died. That was just a few months after replacing the cell. I am a bit reluctant to replace it with another one, because the unit itself is not very cheap, and also not that cheap to run (electricity wise). For the last few months I have been using the calcium hypochlorite to sanitize the pool and found that I much prefer the water without salt.

In terms of cost, 10kg of calc hypo costs me about $30, so even if use two per year (probably less) this should still be cheaper than the SWCG option.

So I am assuming then that the problem with using calcium hypo (or any other calcium product) would be calcium buildup? :confused: arrr I didn't think about that.
Correct. The only way to remove it is to drain the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.