Los Angeles CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello all. This coming summer will be our fourth summer with the pool (built 2020). I took over maintenance two years ago thanks to all the helpful folks here and have seen significant improvements so...thank you!

My question now is about CH level. I have historically had CH levels on the higher side (450-500) range, which has been fine with respect to maintaining CSI/LSI levels. We have had a lot of rain this winter in Los Angeles and my CH has dropped to 300. My tap water tests at a CH of 120. Maintaining CSI/LSI for me seems easier at the CH level of 450 since I tend to keep my pH between 7.8-8.0 so my question is whether I should increase my calcium or wait and see if it drops lower? I see a lot of posts on here that strongly caution against adding calcium so I want to be extra careful on my next steps. My test results from this morning are:

FC - 6.0
pH - 8.0
TA - 80
CH - 300
CYA - 60
Salt - 3200
Borates - 25 (not going to restore borates once they eventually deplete)
Water Temp 57F
CSI -0.150

Summer can't come soon enough!

Your test results are fine. The higher TA and pH may create some scale that will shed off of the SWCG. So watch that. The borates moderate that, so if you are not going to keep them, you may find more scale chunks in the pool. Especially as the water temperature rises.

Your test results are fine. The higher TA and pH may create some scale that will shed off of the SWCG. So watch that. The borates moderate that, so if you are not going to keep them, you may find more scale chunks in the pool. Especially as the water temperature rises.
Thank you so much for the confirmation. Apologies in the delayed response.

Another sizeable storm passing through this upcoming week. I’m concerned CH will drop into low 200s. Will it naturally rise over the summer or is it just something I should keep an eye on with CSI? At what low point should I start taking some action?

Will it naturally rise over the summer or is it just something I should keep an eye on with CSI?
It should if your local water is naturally hard. The rate of increase depends on how hard your water is and how much evaporation you experience. But yes, the PoolMath APP will help you monitor the CSI. If your CH drops below 250, then you may need to add just a little calcium. Not too much though if your local fill water is hard.

It should if your local water is naturally hard. The rate of increase depends on how hard your water is and how much evaporation you experience. But yes, the PoolMath APP will help you monitor the CSI. If your CH drops below 250, then you may need to add just a little calcium. Not too much though if your local fill water is hard.

Thanks for the reply. My tap water is a CH of 120 so I’ll keep some product on hand to increase a bit. Much appreciated.
Same thing I'm doing. Our feed water is very high ch at 250 but we have had enough rain (abnormal) that my ch is dropping. Bought some ch increaser for just in case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.