Calcium Hardness and pH/Alkalinity.

Thank you to all for some robust and comprehensive answers to my question, I think the largest parameter that has been satisfied for me is that whilst the lack of Calcium in liner pool water will usually indicate a negative LSI, that it does not infact indicate the water to be corrosive to metal, merely calcium hungry.

I do remain sceptical, as years of training have taught me to think that it is corrosive to metal, but am slowly coming round, given the information you have presented, a special thanks to Dave J and his link to the US Water Quality Association report on Softened Water being corrosive, I surmise that even water in Scotland from source which is usually >20 CH >20 TA PH +/- 7.0 is not generally corrosive, once it has been added to the pool, given the introduction of Alkalinity and a sanitiser, which in effect is hardening the water, a term I had not given much consideration to until now.

I'll be studying up on this needless to say a tad more, but would like to thank everyone for taking the time to give some well structured responses, with some using some good evidentially reasoning.

Regards
Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.