mdthomas176

Apr 19, 2022
Malvern, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I did a mustard algae shock last week. I pulled the light from the niche for the first time, and it looked like there was a lot of calcium deposit in the bottom of the niche. Basically it was taking up the whole bottom of the niche, maybe an inch deep. This is my second season with the pool, and I never looked behind the light before. I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on that. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture while the light was removed.

I have a plaster pool. When we moved in, the chemistry was a mess, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was long standing calcium hardness issues over the years. Or maybe the deposits could have settled there when the pool was replastered (no clue when that happened thought)? I now have the chemistry in line with the TFP guidelines. Last year CH was around 350. I have it at 400 this year.

I just put the light back in and left it alone. I don't have any other issues with the light or niche, so I figured this was a leave well enough alone situation. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any insights for me.

here are test results from tonight. I also hopped in and took a photo of the niche as best I could.

PH: 7.5
FC: 7.5
CC: 0
TA: 60
CH: 325
CYA: 30

The more I think about it, maybe it’s just some leftover mess from the replaster job.

Attachments

• IMG_8218.jpeg
    IMG_8218.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with wireform. Harmless enough but sloppy work.

Your Test results look very, very good.
Hopefully the sloppy work doesn’t manifest in more serious ways down the road…

Appreciate the test results feedback. It took me a while to square things away last summer, and now that things are settled I feel like I can enjoy the pool more.

The mustard algae threw me for a loop. Hopefully it stays at bay. I only realized what it was a few weeks back. Algae on the shady walls of the pool. FC was always sat, and I was passing the overnight loss test. I do wonder if I’ll just forever have that battle though. I have a pond close by that will probably always be an algae engine for my pool.

Mustard Algae is easy to eradicate but you must be diligent especially after the SLAM. Brushing the walls and pool floor probably twice weekly will be a big helphelp. Of course, keeping adequate FC in your pool is the overall key to success.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.