Calcium Chloride as a replacement for Damp Rid?

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hi All, indirectly pool/chemistry related.

I have extra Calcium Chloride
I also have a safe in which I typically use Damp Rid buckets to keep the items in the safe from gaining too much moisture.

I understand Damp Rid is predominantly Calcium Chloride.

When my damp rid bucket is used up, can I just empty it out and then replace the top part with Pool store bought Calcium Chloride?

Any reason NOT to do this?

@JoyfulNoise Do you use calcium chloride in your safe where you store all your prized possessions?

@JoyfulNoise Do you use calcium chloride in your safe where you store all your prized possessions?

My signed copy of A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkins, my vintage 1986 Mets World Series team baseball card collection, and my 1968 vintage all metal slide rule are safely stored in an air-tight container that has been backfilled with argon gas. The container will drop 600ft into a seal underground bunker in case of nuclear Armageddon. I have a full array of snacks and bottled water, as well as a fully archived backup of the TFP forum that will be printed out onto thermal printer paper, so I keep me busy while I wait out the nuclear winter.

Hi All, indirectly pool/chemistry related.

I have extra Calcium Chloride
I also have a safe in which I typically use Damp Rid buckets to keep the items in the safe from gaining too much moisture.

I understand Damp Rid is predominantly Calcium Chloride.

When my damp rid bucket is used up, can I just empty it out and then replace the top part with Pool store bought Calcium Chloride?

Any reason NOT to do this?

What brand of calcium chloride is it? Damp-Rid is about 80-90% calcium chloride with the balance being other salts (sodium and potassium chloride). There are other options for keeping stuff dry other than calcium chloride. CC definitely has huge moisture capacity but the dust can be very irritating and can damage items it lands on. Silica gel or bentonite clay (kitty liter) are very good alternatives that are completely inert and non-toxic. And they are regenerative/reusable if you bake them dry.

My signed copy of A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkins, my vintage 1986 Mets World Series team baseball card collection, and my 1968 vintage all metal slide rule are safely stored in an air-tight container that has been backfilled with argon gas. The container will drop 600ft into a seal underground bunker in case of nuclear Armageddon. I have a full array of snacks and bottled water, as well as a fully archived backup of the TFP forum that will be printed out onto thermal printer paper, so I keep me busy while I wait out the nuclear winter.

What brand of calcium chloride is it? Damp-Rid is about 80-90% calcium chloride with the balance being other salts (sodium and potassium chloride). There are other options for keeping stuff dry other than calcium chloride. CC definitely has huge moisture capacity but the dust can be very irritating and can damage items it lands on. Silica gel or bentonite clay (kitty liter) are very good alternatives that are completely inert and non-toxic. And they are regenerative/reusable if you bake them dry.
The brand, im not sure as I put it in a bucket. However, sounds like I'm better off buying the damp rid refill based on what your saying, thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.