Bypass control panel

Sarafagan

Oct 3, 2023
San Diego CA
We have a Sundance spa that is older and has a bad control panel. Rather than spending the money on replacing the control panel, I was thinking of putting the heater and the two pumps on simple switches that can be turned on or
Off at my discretion. Is this a really bad idea? It just seems more complex than it needs to be and I have seen some older spas that just have basic on/off switches.

Is this a really bad idea?
Only if you like safety protocols, insurance coverage, and your house.😉

It just seems more complex than it needs to be
Define "needs". Because it definitely needs to be complex to get a UL listing and meet current code requirements.

I have seen some older spas that just have basic on/off switches.
And I've seen older spas burn down houses. There's a darn good reason all that "unnecessary" stuff is required in modern spas.

Sundance controls, like everything else Sundance, are expensive. However with some minor plumbing and wiring you can put in an aftermarket balboa pack for much less $ if you're doing the work yourself.
I strongly advise against bypassing safety protocols.
So...

a bad control panel.
Let's talk about this. First, what do you mean by "control panel"? Second, how did you conclude that it's bad?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welll….as you have likely surmised, I have no clue what I am doing. I just came up with this crazy idea after looking at an older Hot Springs spa. Anyhow…the circuit board has been left open to the elements more than it should. Now when we go to turn it on, I get the “4 bars of death” on the screen. Aka watchdog error? When taking the flow switch out of the equation by bypassing it, I still get the same. This started after some inclement weather. All wiring has been re-checked. The filter has been washed though not replaced. But I cannot get the spa to do anything but those 4 bars. And it was working fine before this. Great heater, all keys worked, etc.

Welll….as you have likely surmised, I have no clue what I am doing. I just came up with this crazy idea after looking at an older Hot Springs spa. Anyhow…the circuit board has been left open to the elements more than it should. Now when we go to turn it on, I get the “4 bars of death” on the screen. Aka watchdog error? When taking the flow switch out of the equation by bypassing it, I still get the same. This started after some inclement weather. All wiring has been re-checked. The filter has been washed though not replaced. But I cannot get the spa to do anything but those 4 bars. And it was working fine before this. Great heater, all keys worked, etc.
I meant all jets worked

When taking the flow switch out of the equation by bypassing it, I still get the same.
You cannot "take it out of the equation" as the computer checks it for both open and closed at appropriate times. Bypassing or jumping it will cause errors.

This started after some inclement weather.
Test transformer.

Watchdog is the system shrugging it's shoulders. This is usually sensor or power related, but can be the board. Test power, transformer, flow switch, and sensors.

Reactions: Sarafagan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.