Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Just opened up my pool last Thursday (get a service for it) and they as usual shocked the pool. I have kept the gas heater off and been using my bypass to hopefully spare the heat exchanger from the chemicals of the shock. Curious, any thoughts as to how long I would leave the heater off for? Is a week enough to let the pool calm down a bit despite the cooler weather, and turn on the heater for say Friday (looks like a decent day weather wise)?

'Shock' has no effect on your heater. Low pH is what effects heaters.
Do you have a test kit?

Yes, have a test kit, but typically don't test for a bit after a shock. I guess I should check PH in particular. Hayward replaced my heater out of warranty last year when the exchanger failed, so am a bit more hesitant to put water into it when it is high in chemicals. Didn't know FC had little effect on the heater!

Will check pH. My pH has always been, seemingly, within 7-8.5 sort of thing, though I always struggle figuring out the color!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.