MA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
If you had the opportunity to buy a 5-year old (Hayward Summit XL) heat pump still in the original box for a good deal - would you be concerned about anything?

I'm wondering what happens when a heat pump just sits in someone's garage for 5 years having never been installed, through hot summers/cold winters. Is there any concern of major issues or would you purchase w/out a concern if it was 2/3 cost of brand new?

I don't know enough about these things to know if that's a steal and one can expect it to just start right up, or if there could be any minor/major issues after sitting like that.

It could have things living in it so check for that. Take the panels off & look around in there.
As for the cost-
2/3 of the cost maybe, 1/2 price most likely if i was going to buy one anyway.
You can look up the warranty on hayward. It’s possible that you can register it yourself. That would make it a better deal for sure. Do they have the receipt?

Reactions: jayden
I would be concerned if refrigerant leaked out.

Only buy it if you can line up an HVAC tech with refrigerant at startup to check the pressures.

Scratch the warranty possibility - I found it plainly states they either use the date of purchase or 60 days after the manufacturer date for the start date ☹️
You assume all risk with this purchase.

Reactions: jayden
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.