Buying a home with an old pool - remodeling thoughts and strategy - Help!

Aug 23, 2017
Langhorne, PA
Hi everyone, the house we are about to buy comes with an in ground pool however it was neglected for the past few years. The realtor had a pool company check out the pool and quoted approx $8k to resurface and essentially overhaul the pool back to usable condition. He also quoted approx $3k for a custom cover and approx 1K to get the existing pump/equipment working / cleaned. When I heard all of this I told the realtor to stop and allow us to offer a counter prior to her having any work done to the pool.

Since the pool is essentially a large bean shaped diving pool with a deep end and a 42" end I wanted to make this more modern and kid friendly. My initial thought was to take a 12K credit from the owner and have the pool modified to have walk-in stairs (for my elderly parents and my 3 and 5 year old). Perhaps also fill in the deep end and set the whole pool's depth to 42" or slope to 60" deep. Remove the diving board and perhaps, if money allowed, add a spa or spa with waterfall to essentially turn it into a much nicer looking pool. My thought is that instead of doing all the resurfacing and repair work, modify it and add the $$ required on top to get the most out of the investment. I was lastly thinking of turning it into a salt water pool but not sure yet, I need to learn more.

Has anyone done something similar? Really appreciate some thoughts on this? I circled, in red the pump/system. I also know this is a propane heater there's two 120 Gallon above ground containers against the fence. Super ugly!

Inked62_Overhead_LI.jpg

All of that work can be done....................money talks! How much money there is no real way to know until you are able to call in different companies and see what the going prices are in your area.

Your kids are little now but will keep growing as you well know with how often you have to buy them shoes :roll: LOL Kids LOVE to jump and dive into pools. It is safer to have a deep end for that kind of play. I do like the idea of walk in stairs for all. What kind of steps/ladder does it use now?

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! You are right about the depth been thinking about that as well. I finally was able to see the pool without the cover so now I know what I am working with here are some pics I wonder how much water this thing holds, 42" I think it goes down to 6'? Not sure what diving minimum is from a mid-80's pool.

I1cWgVV.jpg

So yeah, it's been neglected. Tiles popped, all of the coping has to be yanked.

eokR0fF.jpg

Stairs! Yes! Huge plus! Will need a railing put on but I image that's not a problem.

NkDZ7hR.jpg

My guess is I can have the blue tiles pried out and replaced on the steps.

gqDOzc5.jpg

Looks like it has one light in the pool, wonder what I could do w/ that.

4ZMJmza.jpg

I have no idea what all this is but my guess is the big thing on the left is the heater (propane) it all looks very old.

sMYH2rn.jpg

I guess this is the pump 1.5 HP someone told me to get a variable speed.

Wow I think that needs a total renovation. My advice get a few bids from reputable pool companies for the work. Removing the tile is not that easy and might necessitate an entire re-plaster especially if it has never been done. Looks to me like most if not all of that equipment might also need replacement. You could be looking at $10k-$15k easy or more.

Wow I think that needs a total renovation. My advice get a few bids from reputable pool companies for the work. Removing the tile is not that easy and might necessitate an entire re-plaster especially if it has never been done. Looks to me like most if not all of that equipment might also need replacement. You could be looking at $10k-$15k easy or more.

Yeah, one estimate came in at $9,000 to get it up and running however I don't want to just 'get it running' only to have to replace part after part. Going to do a good 3-5 bids on this. Might put in some extra $$ for a spa addition gotta see where it all ends up I guess. :(

And to add to what Kim said, my grandkids, ages 4-10 can spend all day doing cannonballs off the diving board. When we have kiddie swim parties, the line for the diving board can be 10 kids deep. Keep the deep end, kids like to jump into the pool.

The number quoted (8K) seems super low for any type of overhaul. Just for reference, In our area (SE PA), you're looking at an easy 10-15K+ for plaster, tile, and coping. Add in equipment replacement and you could easily be another 7500-10K depending on equipment and options pump, heater, filter or cartridge change, lighting, skimmers, etc. If you have any leaks or decking issues that you'd want to correct the price goes up as well.

Oh my gosh. Definitely a deep end! Kids LOVE to cannon ball, dive and just swim! I have so many videos from the past years to the present with the kids and grandkids ages 2 to age 39 that have had a blast in our pool. The adults kids are always diving and racing each other from one end of the pool to the other. And there was always a line at the diving board like Sfpat said. I actually think you have to worry more without a deep end because kids are always jumping in and doing cannon balls and just playing around. So it's good to have a deep area where they can do that safely. After many years our diving board finally broke and we never replaced it and they still always dive in from the edge of the pool at the deep end. Even when the grandkids were young, before they could swim, they jumped off the diving board...with their life vests on and I think it really helped them to become better swimmers.

Play pools sound kind of cool for playing volleyball and things like that. But I think we have been happier with the deep end. But everyone is different and uses their pool in their own way. So now maybe you are really confused! LOL Whatever you decide, hope it works best for you!

Good luck!
Sherry

I would leave those pretty tiles in the steps and work around them.

STEPS!! SCORE!!!!!!!

I am hoping it is deeper than 6'. When can you get to it to measure it to see just how deep it is.

Equipment-Big thing on left IS the heater, Silver thing is the filter, the thing in front of it with the "handle" is the filter "control, pump to the right.

This will be a fun one to watch and help on.

OH and check with your home owners insurance about their feelings on diving boards!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim,
You're right about the diving board. I've heard some ins co won't even insure you if you have one. We've never had that problem. But I'm sure it could be a problem in some places. When ours finally broke after many, many years, we just decided not to replace it. I don't miss it much. But I think the grandkids kind of do.

And it will be fun to watch this one. I can't be much help, but can be another cheerleader!
Sherry :cool:

Thanks everyone for the responses here. We have decided to buy the house! Now, based on many factors I am going to not do anything to this pool for at least 3 summers. So with that being said what the heck should I do? As the pictures show this pool needs to be cleaned out and winterized but I'm not sure what to do. At a minimum I was going to buy a loop loc cover and prior to installing it clean out the interior (not sure how) add water (enough for winter) and then cover it up and check it ever few months? I was going to buy the hard cover from loop loc that blacks algae but again am I missing anything? Really appreciate any and all suggestions.

I want to make sure I understand wht you are saying.....

Are you saying leave it to sit for 3 summers aka 3 years without opening or using?

Or.....

Clean and close for the winter then open and use as is until you can renovate it in 3 summers?

Hi Kim!

Since I need to probably put north of $40k into kitchen renovations the pool has to wait! With that being the case I believe the pool is concrete and I need to essentially cover it and just keep it from degrading further for 3-5 years. I heard draining it could damage the pool and I have to maintain a certain amount of water in it I guess I just need to see what's the best way to clean up what's in there and my goal was to 'mothball' the pool and do maintenance on it every 6 months to make sure all is OK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the responses here. We have decided to buy the house! Now, based on many factors I am going to not do anything to this pool for at least 3 summers. So with that being said what the heck should I do? As the pictures show this pool needs to be cleaned out and winterized but I'm not sure what to do. At a minimum I was going to buy a loop loc cover and prior to installing it clean out the interior (not sure how) add water (enough for winter) and then cover it up and check it ever few months? I was going to buy the hard cover from loop loc that blacks algae but again am I missing anything? Really appreciate any and all suggestions.

My sense is with a bit of elbow grease you could get the current pool cleaned up and functional for not much money - provided the current equipment is functional. You don't "need" the heater to use the pool, and that's the biggest ticket item to replace if it isn't working. Even if you have equipment problems, if you are handy it's not hard to replace equipment. I replaced my pool filter all on my own when I bought my house in 2008 and did my own plumbing as part of that project. Working with PVC isn't hard, just takes some patience and a little planning is all.

Just my two cents, but I would shy away from covering it over for several years if you can avoid it. Like anything in life, disuse results in atrophy and more problems over time. Most importantly, you could probably get quite a bit of enjoyment out of the pool over the next few years while you plan for a pool makeover down the road! [emoji1]

I just drained my entire 1991 gunnite inground free form pool earlier this season, scrubbed the surface with bleach, and then powerwashed the entire surface. This on 26 year old original plaster. One weekend of work. Brightened up the existing surface more than I had hoped. I've still got tiles missing and so forth, but the pool is completely functional.

What area of the country are you in? Prices vary widely depending on region and how much competition there is for pool work in your local area.

I have to agree with hitch........I think it will end up costing you more in the long to mothball it. You will have a swamp and it could be a problem due to smell and mosquito. If your equipment works we can get you up and running and it will be cheaper and easier.

I DO understand not be able to "redo" the pool yet but we can get it working like it is now and you will be better off in the short and long term. You DO need to keep water in it but it needs more attention than every 6 months. We can help. BLEACH is your friend and it is cheap!

I'd clean the pool and use it for the next few summers. There are posts on this forum about what others would have done differently with respect to the their builds or remodels. Most people wish they'd done this or that.

If you use the pool you'll know what you need to change, what you like about it, what you don't.

Also, my favorite posts are the swamp pool cleanups. Its amazing what a little bit of time and some bleach can do to make that water blue again.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.