Butyl tape repair on Vinyl liner

dgarayco

Apr 11, 2024
Kansas
Hey there,
New pool owner here. Purchased my home winter 2023 that has a 18x30 inground pool with a Vinyl pool cover that is needing to be replaced. There is some sun damage towards the top which has induced some cracking. I am on the schedule for a new liner spring 2025 since waitlist is ridiculously long. I want to still enjoy the pool this summer so I went ahead and installed a 6" butyl tape strip along the top perimeter of the pool so I can fill the pool to a desired height without worrying about the slow drain from the cracks.

Question: Upon adhering the Butyl tape around the perimeter, I noticed that the tape is not adhering perfectly in some spots, the Vinyl liner is so old it is becoming almost powdery and I am having a tough time keeping it completely stuck to the liner in these places. I have used a roller, tons of pressure, and a heat gun in these areas to no avail. I am looking into liquid adhesives that I can place in-between the liner and Butyl tape. Has anyone experienced this & what did you do to adhere the tape completely? If any of you know of some adhesive ideas that would work for this jerry-rig that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!