Woodburn, Ky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
A bit after swimming today my daughter started complaining that her eyes were burning and cloudy .. also very red conjunctiva ;((
We have been checking our pool and salt with the Taylor test kits recommended.
Here are tonight's levels
Free cl 5
Ph 7.6
Alk 88
Cal hard 400
Cya 70
Salt 3200 ( measured with salt kit)
We swam yesterday as well with no issues, so I'm at a loss .
This is the first time we have had this concern . We transitioned to a SWG 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for your help!!

Nothing about your numbers looks off. Whats your TA and CC at?

Could it be as simple as she rubbed her eyes last night or today? That can cause irritation even if you had a completely balanced pool. Did anyone else also experience red eyes?

Nothing about your numbers looks off. Whats your TA and CC at?

Could it be as simple as she rubbed her eyes last night or today? That can cause irritation even if you had a completely balanced pool. Did anyone else also experience red eyes?
Total alkalinity is 80
Combined chlorine 5

No others that I know of yet.
Just weird and I hate it for her;(
Thanks for double checking my numbers !

Total alkalinity is 80
Combined chlorine 5

I assume you mean a CC of 0 and your FC is 5. If so the numbers still look good.

If your CC is really 5, that would certainly cause irritation.

That combined chlorine of 5 is pretty steep! TFP prefers CC to be zero or .5 at most. Sounds like a SLAM is in order but let’s wait and see what the pros say.

Total alkalinity is 80
Combined chlorine 5

Use the chlorine test with the powder and drops that make the water pink (FAS-DPD). That test will tell you separate free chlorine and combined chlorine values. You want the combined chlorine (CC) to be zero.

If you’ve been using the yellow OTO chlorine test, note that it isn’t all that accurate, so don’t use it for reporting actual chlorine numbers. It’s more for quick checking if there’s any chlorine in the water or not.

I assume you mean a CC of 0 and your FC is 5. If so the numbers still look good.

If your CC is really 5, that would certainly cause irritation.
If the combined chlorine was really 5, I think EVERYONE would have been complaining of it burning, no? As a kid, I once swam in a pool where everyone was complaining about burning eyes and about half of us had some aftereffects. Clearly, their CC was up there.

For it just to be the one person, I'd really suspect some sunscreen washing into her eyes, which can burn and irritate like CRAZY. I once got some super-expensive facial sunscreen that claimed to be gentle if it got in your eyes (which it did). By "gentle," they apparently meant gentle like a feral cat trapped inside of my eyeballs clawing its way out while urinating fire and glass shards. My eyes were red for days afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.