Burn Marks on T-Cell-15 Plug

Rev173

May 5, 2017
Perrysburg, OH
Hi Everyone
I've read through several posts and have a basic idea what my issue could be, however I haven't seen anyone that has had burn marks on their SWG plug. My issue started when I opened my pool two weeks ago. I have a Hayward Aqua Plus with a t-15. I received a low salt warning, but initially thought it was due to water temp or maybe needed a bag or two of salt. Stupid me , I ended up putting 8 bags of salt in bc it continued to say low salt after getting water to temp. I had water tested with a kit and it showed almost 5000 ppm. I read up on the diagnostics and this is what I found.
IMG_0957.jpeg
Amps are extremely low so I tried resetting the breaker, did not work. Then I cleaned the cell with muriatic acid, no luck. I read on a forum here about checking the circuit board for burn marks, but I did not see any. IMG_0961.jpeg
I did notice what look like burn marks on the plug for the t-15.
IMG_0959.jpeg
IMG_0960.jpeg
So now I am completely confused. Is this a circuit board issue, a SWG issue or both? Thanks for reading.

Can you show the labels including the serial numbers for the cell and the system?

When was the system installed?

When was the cell installed?
The cell was installed with the system when we put the pool in 5 1/2 years ago. I will post a pic of the label and serial number in a bit when I get home. Never had a problem with the cell showing low salt reading before. Worked fine last summer then this year upon opening a couple weeks ago it showed 0000. Then I noticed the burnt connector on cord. I’m just not sure if I need to replace the circuit board or the cell or both.

The cell was installed with the system when we put the pool in 5 1/2 years ago. I will post a pic of the label and serial number in a bit when I get home. Never had a problem with the cell showing low salt reading before. Worked fine last summer then this year upon opening a couple weeks ago it showed 0000. Then I noticed the burnt connector on cord. I’m just not sure if I need to replace the circuit board or the cell or both.
I have a multimeter but not a whole lot of knowledge in what I should test and what I’m looking for.

. I’m just not sure if I need to replace the circuit board or the cell or both.

You caught it before the board connector was damaged. The board looks ok in your pic.

We have seen lots worse burnt cords and connectors.

Replace the cell and check the cord and connector occasionally.

What salt level does system run at?

Aquarites are best run at the low end of the range. Don’t have more salt in the water than necessary to keep it happy. High salt causes high amps which causes heat in components which burn things up in the system.

Probably a bad cell.

You can have the cell tested at a store that tests cells.

You can pull the circuit board and check for any signs of damage.

Cells only last for about 5 to 7 years, so you would probably be safe buying a new cell.

1683986548839.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably a bad cell.

You can have the cell tested at a store that tests cells.

You can pull the circuit board and check for any signs of damage.

Cells only last for about 5 to 7 years, so you would probably be safe buying a new cell.

View attachment 491281

Thanks James. I had the cell tested and it was bad. Just bought a 940. I hope the circuit board isn’t fried as well. Might have to sell one of my kids to pay for it!

Hi Rev, how is everything working with your new salt cell? Did you have to get a new board? I have a similar issue with my Aqua Rite T-15 but my plug and connector look a little darker than yours. I think the rest of the board looks ok tho altho I haven't removed it to check out the back. My salt cell is 4 years old and I'm hoping to get away with just having to replace that. I posted on this forum this morning hoping an expert replies with some insight. In the meantime I've been searching for similar issues and came across your post. Hope all is going well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.