Building in-ground cinder block pool, "square flange" return jets & skimmer

mjcjives

Aug 21, 2023
Iowa
I am in the beginning stages of building an in-ground cinder block swimming pool. Have been looking at various return jets and skimmers, but haven't had any luck finding ones that have a "square flange" that would better fit with cinder block construction. Anyone have suggestions?

I am just looking at installing 2 return jets and 1 skimmer, no drains. Just wanting to get ideas on how others installed return jets in cinder block wall pools. Any links to products would be great. The overall pool volume will be around 10,000 gallons, so looking at suggestions for in-ground pump recommendations as I am calculating a pump that is at most 1HP.

I calculated the GPH at 21 for 8 hour turnover.

Thanks!
Matt

Hey there :wave: Welcome!
I've got a great thread of one of our best cinder block builds for you to check out. The builder is one of our Pool Experts here at TFP, so if you have specific questions you can send him a personal message here.

In exchange for sharing this dynamite thread, would you let us follow along as you plan and build? We can offer suggestions, but we also just love to look at the pics too. ;)

Maddie 🌻

Self draining lines are problematic where we winterize as the top layer of pool water is ice at times. The water level would stay at the opening and freeze/thaw many times over the winter at our latitude.

As is, the return lines need to be capped as the ice may grab a hold of rubber winterizing plugs and pull them as it shifts.

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thanks for the info. Here are some pictures of our progress. Constructing the larger 4 foot deep pool (12 ft x 29 ft). The tanning ledge will get completed in 2nd phase, it is around 1ft deep (4 ft x 16 ft) and opens into larger pool. We added tiling and tied it to our eave spout tiling and added a clean out. Have had good weather so far, but still have a ways to go. At this point we plan to not use a liner and to use Drylok FastPlug for our corners and seams to waterproof and DryLok Pro to finish and waterproof with a green/blue tint. We have looked at Insl-x rubberized pool paint, as well, so still a little torn between those options. We have not included a floor drain as I added a clean out for lowering the water.

Was looking at adding a drain on the side just below the skimmers that could be opened and directly ran into our clean out to keep water levels in check, thoughts from those seeing this thread?

Attachments

• A2 - Drawing to Tremmel.jpg
    A2 - Drawing to Tremmel.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
  • A5 - Preparing for Rain 20230910_175438.jpg
    A5 - Preparing for Rain 20230910_175438.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 38
  • A3 - Excavation & Rock 20230812_132705sm.jpg
    A3 - Excavation & Rock 20230812_132705sm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • A4 - Clean out & Tile 20230909_175227sm.jpg
    A4 - Clean out & Tile 20230909_175227sm.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 31
  • A1 -  Intial Layout 20230811_135949sm.jpg
    A1 - Intial Layout 20230811_135949sm.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you get cold winters? If so, we suggest not using flex pipe but rather sticking with PVC meant for pressure lines.

I like your plan to have the tanning shelf offset so the pool itself has plenty of swim and play room.

Maddie 🌻
Winters here are definitely cold, well below 0 F during January & February. Thanks for the tip on PVC. Do you recommend the 2 inch PVC? I calculated our pump hp to be 3/4 or 1 HP based on 11,000 gallons.

I calculated our pump hp to be 3/4 or 1 HP based on 11,000 gallons.

I calculated the GPH at 21 for 8 hour turnover.

Turnover is irrelevant for proper pool maintenance. That is the wrong way to size a pump and besides, you probably won't be able to find a single speed or dual speed pump anyway as the DOE has banned the production of both SS and DS pumps except for very small and very large pumps. A VS pump is really the only way to go.

Reactions: mjcjives
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.