Building an Energy Efficient Pump

You can go with the VS but those motors don't have that much field time to assess reliability. Also, it looks like Austin gets a decent amount of lightning so you will want to get lightning/surge protection for the motor. That will add a few hundred dollars.

As for which motor, the 1.5 HP should be fine and you can use the existing impeller.

But given your electrical rates, I think the two speed motor would probably have a lower lifetime cost than the VS especially with the surge protection.

What necessitates the lightning protection? I ask because my pool doesn't have it now and I don't think it has ever been hit. Is it possible that it is protected by all of the tall treees on the property? There are a number of 70-80 ft trees in proximity.

Single and two speed pumps do not require lightning protection but a VS drive has a lot of sensitive electronics that need protection not unlike the electronics in your home. There have been several reports of VS drive failures due to poor power condition and/or lightning strikes.

Most of the lightning damage comes from indirect hits to power poles and/or transformers that not even close to the property.

You can certainly take the risk but that is up to you.

Mark,

After much research for pricing and options, I am getting close to ordering. to me, I just can't justify the 2-speed motor over the Ecotech VS motor even with the $100 dollar lightning protection.

What I still have to decide:

1. Because the price difference for the 1.5 HP model and the 3.0 HP model is only $33, I am really interested in knowing if I can oversize this to the 3.0 HP model. This would give me more flow if needed for future upgrades on the pool (like a fountain on a turtle deck, etc). I also might not need my Polaris booster pump and could just run the pump at a higher flow while the Polaris runs maybe? Then, I should be able to run the bigger motor at an even lower speed with the proper impeller for normal daily filteration?

2. Lightning Protection - I found the Intermatic PS3000 on Amazon for $100. However, I have always been interested in a whole house surge protection since I have lots of computers here. Would that still give me the protection I need for the pump or is the difference in 220 volt require it's own unit?

3. I will have to replace the impeller and diffuser regardless of which pump I choose as they are both damaged from poor alignment evidently via the pool repair guy before I bought the house. So, that expense won't factor into my decision.

1. By itself the 3 HP will not give you any more flow, you would need to upsize the impeller too. But even if you did "upsize" the impeller, it really doesn't give you much more in flow rate but it costs a lot more in energy. Not worth in my opinion. The pump you have should produce enough for everything you want to do.

2. Whole house should be able to support the pump as long it is run off the same breaker box.

Mark, before it seems that I am "arguing" with you, I promise, I am not. I have research the phooey out of TFP and the VS pumps and 2-speed pumps and ONE BIG COMMON Denominator is you. I can tell that this is your bailiwick and I absolutely respect your knowledge and advice. Thank you. What may sound litigious is really my own fear that I am not doing a good job at communicating my situation and what I hope to accomplish (think of the oversight of the spa on my part at the beginning of this thread). Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and for your patience.

The idea for the 3 HP motor actually came from another thread where you posted this:

Theoretically, a larger impeller run at lower speeds to achieve the same flow rate as the smaller impeller should result in an improvement of efficiency. There are less re-circulation losses in the pump chamber with a larger impeller. How much though is hard to say but if you compare the Intelliflo VS (3 HP impeller) with the i1 (1 HP impeller) at the same flow rate, the VS is less than 1% more efficient at the same flow rate.

I do understand that more flow requires more energy(electricity) but I was hoping that with the ability of variable speed, I can set it to an even lower speed than the 1.5 HP pump and keep the same flow. PLUS, I was hoping that having the 3 HP would "future proof" me a bit in case I need more flow later (change in pool features/design). I don't have any current plans to need more but I'm thinking this motor may last 10-20 years so I should consider that. Also thought that if my Polaris booster pump goes out then I could use the bigger pump on a higher flow rate either as a temp solution while I get the booster pump fixed/replaced or in place of it if that will work.

But, I don't want to brow beat the issue so much that you say "then get the bigger one" just to get me to shut up. If getting the bigger pump because of a small chance (10% or less) that I *might* need more flow later, will cost me a substantial loss of electricity savings today then I will stick with the 1.5 HP.

Again, I really appreciate your time and assistance you have generously given to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your filter is your limiting factor. At most, you don't want more than 96 GPM. Your current pump and impeller are probably close to that right now so you can go with the larger impeller and motor but keep in mind, over driving your filter with high flow rates will either damage it or significantly reduce the life of the filter. You would end up run the motor below the max ability anyway. Even the smaller motor with the same impeller, you should not run at full speed ever. Having a larger impeller will just increase the odds of failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.