Building a new pool in Los Angeles- Need advice. thanks in advance

Aug 31, 2017
los angeles
I want to put in a pool in my backyard in Los Angeles and have received three quotes. I need some help deciding what features i actually need and want. I have included the quotes below and would love your thoughts on which one to go with and why (apparently LA permits are the most expensive in the country). For ease i have tried to narrow down my questions. Please share any advice you have. Thank you in advance for your time and help. I really appreciate it! :D

Background

Size: approximately 27 x 15 (open to suggestions but my space is fairly limited). My kids are 2, 7 and 9 and we want to be able to sit in chairs on the baja step to read, and to have enough room in the pool to entertain other families and host small birthday parties.
Plan is a rectangular pool with hot tub and baja step (with umbrellas sleeve) side by side in shallow end.
I have limited access to my backyard so i will need a 3 inch bobcat which is't included in the quotes below (cost $4000) and quote B includes a heat pump instead of a heater cause we were thinking solar panels or something at the time but that is out now. we will eventually add a solar heater.

1. What size pipes do i need? what size pipes do i want. Quotes range from 2, 2 1/2 to 3.
2. Does it matter if the quote includes shotcrete or gunite?
3. how about hayward heater vs. jandy (400k gas heater, 400 (or 450) cartridge filter, variable speed pump)?
4. what type of cleaning - Ozone? uv? straight chlorine?
5. automatic fill line necessary?
6. automatic cleaner?
7. what else do i need to look out for?
8. big pool company with great reviews? or small pool contractor who people i know have used an recommend?

Quote A:
1. Permits included
2. Engineered with standard plans from Pool Engineering Tustin, Ca.
3. Excavate up to 6' deep. Pool size is approx. 27x15.
4. Plumbing includes, 1 skimmer, 3 return lines, dedicated suction line, and double main
drains, manual fill line, and equipment set all per code.
5. Spa includes 6 standard jets. Spa is not raised. Spa Size is 7.5’x7’.
6. Steel and Gunite installed per standard engineering plan from Pool
Engineering, Tustin Ca. Includes entry steps.
7. Install standard waterline tile in pool and spa. Tile budget is $6.00 per sq ft.
8. Decking/concrete is provided by others.
9. Electrical and gas hookups, runs for pool Equipment and GFI hookups. + BBq tee.
10. Equipment delivery and installation.
11. White or gray pool plaster and fittings.
12. Construction related clean up.
13. Includes Jandy 400k gas heater, 450 Cartridge filter, 1 variable speed pump.
1 white standard pool light. 1 white standard spa light.
14. Access is full tractor with niebors permission.
15. Back pool wall is raised 1 foot and is tile faced behind the pool and stucco elsewere.
16. Drains if needed are provided by others.
17. Included initial pool chemistry and 5 day start up.

TOTAL PRICE: $46,650.00

Does not include the following:
Safety gates and enclosures, door alarms. Auto cover, Solar system, Deputy
Gunite inspector (approx. $300.00), equipment fence enclosure.
Extra Items to consider:
1. Badu Jet Stream II, 4hp pump single nozzle and setup $4,900.00
2. Iphone/Android remote 4 function remote controls. $1500.00
3. LED Savi white lights upgrade $490.00

Quote B:
• STANDARD STRUCTURAL POOL ENGINEERING
• ALL NECESSARY CITY PERMITS
• STATE,COUNTY,SALES TAXES INCLUDED
• EXCAVATION DONE BY 5’ BOBCAT TRACTOR USING NEIGHBORS ACCESS
• DEMOLITION AND REMOVAL OF BACK YARD LANDSCAPE AND CONCRETE ADJACENT POOL
• HAULING OF SPOILS AS REQUIRED
• HYDROSTATIC RELIEF VALVE
• STEEL FOR POOL, AND SPA AS SPECIFIED BY ENGINEERING & CODE
• PNEUMATICALLY APPLIED CONCRETE OVER STEEL WITH EXPANSIVE SOIL THICKNESS
• DEPUTY INSPECTOR TO CONTROL QUALITY OF GUNITE APPLICATION
• MAIN ELECTRIC FROM METERS POOL EQUIPMENT FROM PER CODE
• TWO RECESSED AUTOMATIC SKIMMERS (all plumbing 2.5” sch-40 pvc)
• SPLIT SAFETY MAIN DRAINS WITH DEDICATED SUCTION LINE
• THREE RETURNS LINES WITH DOWN JETS NOZZLES FOR THERMAL EFFICIENCY
• 46’ INTERIOR SPA WITH SIX SPA JETS
• AUTOMATIC CLEANER LINE
• AUTOMATIC FILL DEVICE
• COLOR CHANGING LED LIGHTS IN POO AND IN SPA ON GFI
• HAYWARD VARIABLE SPEED ECOSTAR PUMP
• HAYWARD 400 SQ. FT. CARTRIDGE FILTER
• HAYWARD HEAT PUMP SYSTEM (half the cost per but of a gas heater and can be powered from roof solar
system and little cost)
• HAYWARD WEB ENABLED REMOTE CONTROL SYSTEM
• 16” WIDE POURED IN PLACE CONCRETE COPING TO MATCH EXISTING CONCRETE FINISH
• 6” WATERLINE TILE AND TILED SPA DAM ($6/FT. ALLOWANCE)
• COLORED PLASTER INTERIOR WITH ALL NECESSARY FITTINGS
• INITIAL START UP AND SERVICE FOR ONE MONTH
• COMPLETE JANDY MAINTENANCE KIT WITH BRUSH,POLE,NET & TESTER
• LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY ON POOL AND SPA
• AVANTI TO PROVIDE PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE

POOL 16’X26’ W/ 6’ INTERIOR SPA: $52,500

OPTIONS
I. HAYWARD salt sanitation system OR Paramount ozone generator system w/ chlorine feeder: $1,800
II. roof mounted solar pool heat system: $4,500
III. Aggregate interior finishes in lieu of plaster: $2,000-$8,000 depending on type
IV. Automatic cover w/ hidden leading edge & track w/ stainless steel masonry walk on lid system with concrete
vault and drainage system with all necessary electric and tile work : $13,500 included concrete

Quote C
Pool Dimensions:
Length: 25 FT, Width Across: 13 FT, Depth: 3.6 FT x 5 FT
3 ½ ft. depth in shallow-end for lap swimming
Spa Dimensions: 7
12” dam wall with 6 therapy jets with step out
6 staggered jets included
One set of shallow-end access steps
Deep-end loveseat bench at 6 ft. long

Project Manager to pre-site your yard to verify precise measurements for permitted plans
Specialized in house permit department, as well as a dedicated permit runner
Detailed blue prints in advance for approval prior to excavation
Engineered structural plans
City or County building permits
Underground services dig alert called prior to excavation
All work and vehicles are covered by commercial liability and auto insurance
Taxes on all materials and equipment included in contract price
Lien releases are available throughout construction, upon request
Licensed, bonded and insured in accordance with State Contractor’s Board Regulations
Pool engineered for expansive soil conditions
Certificates available upon request
Quality checks after each phase of construction by your Project Manager in the field
Excavation
Pool layout prior to excavation with your personal Project Manager and Salesperson
Fence taken down
Pool hand contoured
Pools is painted on ground for visual approval by homeowner
Hand trimming assures uniform wall and floor thickness with proper cove radius
Steel
4 bar bond beam with ½ inch steel; 3/8 inch rebar tied 12 inch on center each way throughout
plus:
6 inch on center in transition slope by 20 feet length
4 inch on center in deep end coves when required by depth
4 inch dobe concrete blocks
Our bond beam and wall steel schedules are beyond code for protection of expansive soils
4 inch spacing for a thick floor

Equipment
Jandy Stealth Series pump
High performance circulation pump 2 HP, 2 speed
460 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter – Pool and Spa/Spa Only
Heater: Jandy JXI 400,000 BTU – Pool and Spa
500 Watt Pool light
100 Watt. Spa light
All Jandy/Zodiac equipment with a 3 year manufacture warranty (parts and labor)
Maintenance kit includes: Telescoping pole, brush, leaf skimmer, liquid test kit and
thermometer, 2 gallons chlorine, 4 gallons muriatic acid
High head, energy efficient pump for clean, low cost circulation
Jandy/Zodiac equipment’s warranty is the strongest in the industry

Plumbing
3 inch Pool & Spa suction line for filter pump
2 ½ inch Pool & Spa return line for filter pump (to 1 st tee)
2 inch suction line for dedicated vacuum line
45 degree elbows and 90 degree sweep ells
Separate dedicated lines for surface skimmer and vacuum suction
Heavy duty surface skimmer
Jandy Valves
Spa Jets with adjustable eyeball fittings
Spa Bypass & Valve
Pool Return lines with adjustable eyeball fittings
Dedicated pool cleaner line for use with suction pool vac’s
Fill line with anti-siphon valve
Hose bib at pad for draining pool
All circulation lines are under pressure test throughout construction
Larger plumbing provides fast turnover for a cleaner, more energy efficient pool
Dual plumbing allows greater adjustment and cleaning control
Jandy never lubricate valves with Lifetime Warranty on Neverlube Seals

Electric
Breakers at pad and house subpanel included
110 volt GFI protected light circuit with outlet
220 volt pump circuit/GFI protected
Weatherproof Intermatic timer
Bonding as per N.E.C. Code
Protected outlet for homeowner convenience
Shotcrete
Minimum 3000 PSI pneumatically applied shotcrete
All shotcrete is measured by a certified weighmaster
All nozzlemen are certified for State and Municipal work
Structural warranty
Periodic shotcrete core samples demonstrate test strength far beyond code requirements, as
required in some cities
Clean Up
All trenches filled
All construction debris hauled away

Tile & Masonry
All pool & spa waterline tile including skimmer throat
All pool & spa copping
Top quality, frost proof tiles in a variety of patterns and colors

Plaster
2 coats of hand troweled marbelite white plaster
Anti-vortex main drain grate (DUAL)
Our skilled Trade Partners use high grade materials for your plaster and they are certified by
the manufacturer.
Start Up & Orientation
Equipment start up and chemicals added after fill up
Full customer orientation “Pool School”
Pool Maintenance & Equipment fully explained
Timer set for filtrations cycles
Customer survey
PRICING

BASE PRICE: $ 51,553.00 (for sure want the reef so $52,438 and I assume the automatic fill and cleaner lines?)

Options Pricing
Pure Sanitizer System $1,750.00
Eco Pump & 1-4 Advance Controller $ 1,750.00
Eco Time Saving Auto Vac MX6 $ 400.00
Eco Radiance Lights Pool & Spa $ 798.00
Eco Auto Fill $ 385.00
Eco Comfort Circulation Lines $ 410.00
Relaxing Reef with Umbrella Sleeve $ 885.00
Concrete 500 sf Bonding , Grid & Mastic $ 6,985.00
Strom Drains 3” 100 lf $ 700.00
Mini Bobcat Access $ 4,380.00
Demo Ext. Concrete $ 2,500.00
Sod Removal $ 1,950.00
Mini Pebble $ 4,500.00

Hey there LaurenLA :wave: Welcome to TFP, glad to have you here.

I will let those here who are involved in construction weigh in on most of your quotes but I will say you should ditch the UV/Ozone devices and go with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.
Those UV/ozone devices are mostly a gimmick, especially considering an outdoor pool gets far more FREE UV from the sun than any device could put out. Just a big huge waste of money in outdoor pools. That said, I will grant you that *indoor* pools that don't get sun do benefit from them somewhat.

oh yeah...and stay away from anything that claims to use "minerals" as those are costly and contain metals that you won't want in your pool. They use copper most often and that stains pool walls and turns hair green. And since you have to use chlorine anyway with them, why bother with them at all?? Another huge gimmick!

Maddie :flower:

If you really want a spa - get a standalone. Far better than one built with the pool. The spa integrated with a pool becomes a water feature. Rarely used as a spa because it is tied to the pool and is not functional to use when you want to, the winter. I realize LA does not get a real winter, but neither does were I live. And we rarely use the spa because you have to heat it up from cold to hot. A standalone stays warm all the time with minimal energy as it is insulated and covered.

Take care.

Welcome to TFP...I agree ditch the spa for more pool space, get your own test kit (highly recommend TF-100 from this site), not sure what a deputy unite inspector is?? Post pics of current backyard and pool design from PB's, I think you will find most folks will recommend SWG over the ozone. Overall not bad pricing for LA area (we use to live there) and by ditching spa you can pay for more bells and whistles, become a TFP member and it allows for pic space...just a few thoughts!

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm in So. CA as well, but in Riverside County. Our permit fees are crazy here too! They wanted an additional $3k to conduct a "seismic inspection" of an 8' wide block wall return we wanted to tear down for excavation access. We wound up knocking down and quickly rebuilding the return with no inspection...

I just finished an 18'x31' free form build with an 8' circular spa spilling into the pool. Depth is 3.5'-5.5'-4'. My other specs look pretty similar to yours. My pool cost was right around $46k from a small well know custom PB who lives in my neighborhood. Total project cost ran much higher; and we wound up spending north of 80k with lots of decking, retaining walls, and landscaping/irrigation/drains. Having said that, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I agree with the advice of skipping the spa. Ours has been used 1x since we finished in April, and it really is a pricey water feature. If I wanted a spa, I should have bought a $10k jacuzzi and placed it elsewhere in the yard!

I'm on the other side of the fence as I like having a spa built in with the pool. We use our spa rarely when it's warm enough to go swimming in the pool but during the cooler months we use it once a week or every couple of weeks on the weekends. I just don't see the point of powering an electric separate spa 24/7 unless you're using it every night or 3-4 times a week. Plus you have to check the water separately when it's not integrated with the pool and if you get a big enough heater the spa doesn't take too long to heat up. If you have natural gas available then that's a bonus (cheap) as we have to use propane but still it's not too expensive. Ours spills over into the pool as do most and it's a nice water feature when swimming in the pool. I also like sitting in the spa and being down close to the pool when using it and easy access if I decide to cool off a bit in the pool when I get a little hot. Plus it looks better and more resort feeling IMO than a stand alone spa.

On the spa, we have a separate spa, with its own heater, pump filter. It is nice to heat just the spa, but also more equipment to maintain, and more cost.

When our kids were little, we had a safety cover because the pool is too close to the house to put in a safety fence. It was a manual cover, and kind of a pain to uncover the pool. So it did end up reducing use of the pool to mainly weekends.
I would have loved an automatic safety cover, where you flip a switch to open or close. With little kids, if you don't have room for a fence, I would go for that. But a fence and solar cover is much cheaper. One other consideration is the safety cover will keep the pool warm during the summer. Not sure what you're looking at for a swim season, but if its for spring/summer only, you probably don't need solar heating if you cover the pool.

pipe size bigger is better, but not sure how much it really matters.

Get a variable speed pump, saves electricity.

I would get a gas heater over a heat pump myself, but it's not my money lol.

I would go with the small company who has recommendations from people you know

Good luck

What area code or city do you live in? My pool is basically what you describe, just a little smaller. Link in my signature.

I too like having our spa as part of the pool and as a water feature. It heats up very quickly with a 400k BTU heater, we use it all the time. I think a separate spa would look kinda cheesey with a new in ground pool nearby. I'd definitely get the SWG and ditch the ozone thing
Dont get me started on the City of LA! HAHA! If you are DWP, there is a $500 rebate for the variable speed pump (it takes like 9 months to get the check, but it comes) and well worth it. Get the LED lights, at least 3 for the pool, one for the spa - faced away from the house. I'll never own another pool - especially one with a white or light colored plaster - without an infloor cleaning system. I love mine, its made by a company called Blue Square and they have a pretty good website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.